Author Topic: Advice on tiller  (Read 2119 times)

Offline bentstick54

Advice on tiller
« on: November 24, 2022, 11:01:03 am »
Would like some opinions on taking off another 3# to 4#. Currently at 50# @ 28”, thin ringed Osage, 63”ntn, 1-3/8” at widest point of fade tapering to 1” then last 6” tapering to 1/2” tips.

Offline bentstick54

Re: Advice on tiller
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 11:21:52 am »
I should have stated that it has taken 1-1/4” set in the outer 1/3 of both limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 12:04:25 pm »
The overall tiller looks good to me.  :OK   You could bring the bend back towards the handle on both limbs to reduce a bit of weight but go gingerly and check the weight often.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aksel

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 02:06:39 pm »
Very nice looking tiller. Set indicates that too. First I´d let it sit braced for a few good hour or shoot it a couple 100 times and check tiller again. If # hasn´t gone down, I´d scrape or sand evenly on both limbs to keep that tiller.
Stoneagebows

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 02:22:51 pm »
If you only need 3-4lbs. reduction and you want to maintain the same tiller shape, follow Askel's good advice.

To my eye, the top limb needs to bend, just a small amount, mid-limb. Again, go slow and only make a few scrapes at a time, then exercise and check. The final few adjustments will test your patience.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 03:12:51 pm »
The overall tiller looks good to me.  :OK   You could bring the bend back towards the handle on both limbs to reduce a bit of weight but go gingerly and check the weight often.

+1 for pats advice.  Go lightly on closer to handle.  I would be careful taking any more off on outer 1/3 where you are seeing set.  IMO.
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 07:08:03 pm »
Thanks guys. Asked, I have only shot it maybe 20 arrows but have left it strung several times for about an hour each, plus have had it strung at full tiller while tweaking the tiller it’s a card scraper. I think I will follow Pat B’s advice on scraping/sanding going into the handle a little more. That seems to be where my weakness falls, by not getting enough movement right out of the handle.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 10:03:32 pm »
If you only need 3-4lbs. reduction and you want to maintain the same tiller shape, follow Askel's good advice.

To my eye, the top limb needs to bend, just a small amount, mid-limb. Again, go slow and only make a few scrapes at a time, then exercise and check. The final few adjustments will test your patience.
This is exactly what I see as well.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 12:34:08 am »
I think the tiller is very good. Enjoy it. By the time you sand it you'll loose some weight. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 08:58:33 am »
Thanks George. Very little sanding need, back and edges have already been finish sanded, and belly has been worked down carefully with card scraper.

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 09:01:10 am »
Looking good!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2022, 09:36:41 am »
bentstick, welcome. Shoot it at least 36 times and then check tiller and decide if you need to reduce it more. That's what I do. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 07:21:01 am »
I think the tiller looks good to my eye. I haven’t seen the unbraced profile so I’m assuming it was pretty even.

I would probably shoot it some more. Do some sanding and see how it feels then. If it take a little set and you lose a little weight from sanding you might be right where you want.

It’s easier to take weight off than to put it on. Wouldn’t rush anything at this point.

I like that you are still trying to perfect the tiller though and not just taking off lbs.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 09:08:28 am »
I took a few scrapes off mid limb like NonBacked suggested, then concentrated on the 4” or 5” out of the handle. Dropped weight to 48# so I’m stopping there. Shot about 30 more arrows through it and am happy with the way it feels in the hand at the loose, so I’m calling it good. Going to start finishing with Truoil , will post some photos when done. Thanks for all the help.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 11:00:34 pm »
I have an Apple iPad, and an iPhone. How do I go about posting multiple pictures on 1 post, instead of individually on multiple posts? I prefer using the iPad due to the larger key pad if possible. Thanks for any assistance.