Author Topic: advice on wood (black walnut)  (Read 1058 times)

Offline simk

advice on wood (black walnut)
« on: November 25, 2022, 02:11:06 am »
Hi all!

I have the opportunity to get a nice board of black walnut. I have no experience with this wood and its not really cheap, so I'm hesitating a little.

How reliable would you rate this wood as a bellywood in laminated bows? A, B, or C? It sure looks nice but how good is it in compression?

Thanks for advice!

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 02:44:58 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: advice on wood (black walnut)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 03:52:02 am »
As a core wood in my experience.For me around here it's not the best bow wood I've got on it's own but will work.All depends on how far a person wants to stress it.Beautiful looking bow wood when done.
It makes some good arrow shafts too.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:08:05 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 07:17:33 am »
Thanks Ed, I maybe better lookout for other wood. There must be a reason why we dont often see bows made from black walnut.
Low set, good cast and no chrysals is what I'm looking for.
👍
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bassman211

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 12:20:10 pm »
I have made a couple dozen bows from walnut. 95 percent were were made from saplings big enough to get 1 3/4 inches off the fades and, 40 to 45 lb range. 62 inches long for my 25 inches of draw. Knot free wood. It will take set, with less than average cast,and it will belly fret, or any variable  depending on the bow makers skills. I made some real dogs in the beginning. Once I learned the character of the wood I  made some nice bows from it. Easy to work with, takes heat well, and takes more time, and work to turn out a good one. 2nd string wood like birch, but with enough time ,and work can make a nice bow. Both woods are soft hard woods ,so I can't speak for the durability of either wood as a long term hunting bow. Both woods dent easily.

Offline simk

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 07:05:21 am »
Thank you bassman for sharing detailed experience 👍 this makes my decision very easy now. 😅
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 07:22:35 am »
One wood of greater quantity I'd like to have around is plum.Osage,elm,hickory,and black locust are the top 4 around here.
The walnut needs to be plenty wide for good poundage as a flat bow.Rather light weight type wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 06:33:41 pm »
simk ... when I am in the woods looking for  saplings ,and if I see one that is walnut I cut it. I make bows, and give them away to youngsters, friends, and relatives in the 20 to 40 lbs class.The first ring under the bark is thick, and durable, and the wood is easy to work. I do the same with birch. Ya Ed... wider, and longer for heavier weight bows, and they are still light in the hand when finished. It is a pretty, lighter weight wood than most popular bow woods, and is popular for gun stock making.

Offline simk

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 02:52:34 pm »
Nothing wrong with tackling b-woods. They teach you an awful lot. Anybody csn make a bow from perfect wood 🤗
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 04:02:56 pm »
I’ve had good luck with is as an English longbow. And have been running around 60% getting good performing flatbows from it. 1 3/4” wide and heat treated seems to be a good mix for a 50# flatbow.

Kyle