Author Topic: A pile of axes  (Read 1554 times)

Offline BrianS

A pile of axes
« on: December 03, 2022, 06:19:09 pm »
It starts out as just one axe and then you add another and then another. Before you know it Guys are giving old beat up axes to you. You try to give some away. Even try to sell some. But they keep multiplying. Before you know it, You have way more than you need but you can't stop bringing them home and adding to the pile.
take care, brian
Here is the video link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6N8zG-su7s

Offline chamookman

Re: A pile of axes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 02:58:54 am »
Kewl  )W( ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 08:42:39 am »
I have an older friend who buys axe and hatchet heads at the local flea market, he just can't pass a good deal up, one time he told me he bought 5 vintage axe heads for $10. He cleans up the heads and puts new handles in them, no telling how many he has, he is 89 and has been doing this for at least 50 years.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 09:12:31 am »
Cool vid Brian...A reminder of when life was slower and people were tougher.It takes a certain amount of skill to use them properly and stay out of trouble.
Like all the leather sheaths you make for them too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 05:23:49 pm »
I am with you Brian, I love them and have a pile myself, like knives/bows and other such stuff, just can't have to many. ??? ;) ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 05:34:40 pm »
Nice video also.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 05:12:54 pm »
Bob - Thanks
Eric - I think I would like your 89 year old friend
Ed - There is something about an old axe and what it represents. Hard for me to put into words
Pappy - Thanks.
Here is a video test I did of a camp axe I just finished up.
Today I worked on a larger double bit that Kevin dropped off the other day. That should be ready in a day or so.
When I am gone and the Family finds all of the axes, knives and saws, IT IS GOING TO BE ONE HELL OF A YARD SALE!
Take care, brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr5z-KN0ZpI

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 02:18:22 pm »
Finished up re-handles on a few destined for the cabin.
A small 2.5 lb camp axe from my trip to Bush Country up in Canada
A Plumb 2 lb hatchet
A 3.5 lb True Test double bit
A 3.5 lb. True Temper Kelly Works single bit
Just have a 6lb splitting maul to do to make the set for the cabin.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 07:04:28 pm »
Nice job, just curious do you make your own handles ? if so you been a really busy man.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 09:02:57 pm »
Pappy,
I have made a few of my own handles before but I used hardware store bought handles on these. Making my own handles is quite a time consuming project for me as I do not have much in power tools and such. Finding store bought handles is getting a bit difficult around here. At one time every hardware store had them but now many do not. I have found a old time hardware store in Salamanca NY located on the Seneca Reservation on the PA border that carries them. They run about 15 bucks each which is not bad. For the most part the ones they have are good as far as the orientation of the grain but you still need to check them. I also get some from Kevin who picks them up for me at a little Old Time Hardware store near where he lives. As long as I can keep the total cost for the head and handle for a average user axe at about 20 bucks, I feel good and refurbish them. On some older rarer heads I have paid at little more and I always look for ones that I can save the handles where possible. Like I said, my Family is going to shaking their heads as to why in the world i have so many axes after i am gone.
take care, brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 07:49:57 am »
I hear you on my family getting rid of my stuff when I am gone, like you said probably a heck of a yard sale. I usually make my own handles and you are right it takes lots of time to get the proper look and fit but around here the ones you buy are not very good and it takes a lot of time to get a good fit if at all. :) Nice axes either way. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 04:17:59 pm »
New Shop Sign