Author Topic: Inkle Loom  (Read 2063 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Inkle Loom
« on: December 02, 2022, 04:37:38 am »
It's quite a while since i started fiddling with natural fibers, dyeing and weaving.
I approached the backstrap weaving technique that is common all around the world in many primitive cultures
Despite its versatility it's not always comfortable for occasional weaving in modern world where life keeps imposing you breaks.
So I made myself a more modern Inkle Loom. A compact, portable, inexpensive loom primarily aimed at weaving long (up to 4 yards in my case) and narrow (up to approx 8 inches) bands of fabric. It's ideal to make belts, straps, decorative strips, even tubolar shoe laces.
Both the building of the loom and the basic weaving techniques are really, really easy to make while there is space for more complex weaving that could produce astonishing results and patterns
Just wanted to point your attention to this tools as there are many primitive crafts that can definetly be made or ornated with this weavings
In the left side of the attached picture you can see the narrow test strip that is forming. 
Oh... and the tensioning peg is made out of leftover from a yew bow  ;D  (SH)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 04:46:01 am by GlisGlis »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Inkle Loom
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 10:17:43 am »
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 10:40:51 pm »
Gliz, I made an Inkle loom very similar to yours a couple of years ago, here is a picture of a few items that I made. The hat band was my first attempt and is wool yarn , later learned to get a differnt type of yarn and things got better with experience and learning tension and a very helpful lady friend. My sash and leg ties are my veterans colors of Vietnam War ribbons, my lady friend made some extradentary color and patterns, She still has my loom and is an excellent with it and can really knock stuff out in a hurry. I have sinced moved on to try my hand at quill work but I can see the learning curve is long and steep and my old hands are not helping on my new endeavor. Anxiously waiting to see some of your loom work, Bob (=)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 09:36:44 am »
very nice work there Bob.
I'm still working with rough twine to make my tests. I see you used wool. I'm planning to try some cotton.
I ended with about 2 yards out of my thin ribbon test then i tried my hand at tablet weaving on the inkle loom and
made a small pocket knife sheat by folding two times and sewing a short ribbon

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 02:10:31 pm »
Glis , the wool was hard to work with wants to stick to upper and lower shed. Bob

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 09:15:32 pm »
Glis and Bob,
Nice work!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 08:44:46 am »
Cool loom.The straps made from those are tough enough.Very handy,useful items from that loom.Like the geometric designs on them too.I've seen a lot of them for sale at rendezvous.Have a few of my own too.Think they called them finger woven sashs.
I asked Robin about the loom and she said she has seen it before too.
I made her a loom some time ago for rugs from scrap pieces of oak trim when building the house.She's made quite a few over the years.She goes down to the thrift store and buys cheap sheets and cuts them into strips.
Convinced her to make an outdoor type rug out of nylon baling twine.She uses my rerod beaver stretching frame that I dry willow hoops on to make round rugs also.She's into weaving landscape designs on square rugs now.
Time consuming for her and her fingers get stiff once in a while but she carrys on.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 11:57:00 am »
the blue rugs is an eye catcher. I like it alot  :OK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 05:07:08 pm »
WOW very nice stuff guys, I like the straps Bob and the rugs are beautiful Ed. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good