Author Topic: New to sight and bow building Need direction  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Lost Oki

New to sight and bow building Need direction
« on: December 04, 2022, 08:15:42 pm »
Built my first bow out of an oak board - still doing the final tillering.  Recently located a hickory log, approx 5.5" in dia at base and 3.5" at 75".  Initial split was terrible, so I tried a 2nd split and ended up with the follow stave, best of the 3.  Feedback?

Offline superdav95

Re: New to sight and bow building Need direction
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 10:54:09 pm »
Looks like you got lots of wood to work with there.  Is it still green or is this a dry log/stave?  Is the bark of it already?  I would seal the ends and the back if it’s green and let it dry a bit to get mc down to close to 10%.  If the back is clean and free from a lot of character it may be a candidate for heat treatment too. Show us a pic of the back.   Best of luck.  Welcome to the site btw! 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:58:08 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 04:25:48 pm »
Looks like there are some violated rings on the back. If one is not careful removing the bark that will happen. It's a good idea to wait until spring before cutting whitewoods like oak and hickory. The bark will pop right off.

My site has info.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 05:39:21 pm »
Thats actually the belly.  See attache pic of back and have 2 questions.
1.  2nd pic is of the back dead center where handle will be - is this going to be an issue?
2.  One limb had been cut off, how do I deal with this area (on back of bow)

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 06:13:35 pm »
The back needs some cleaning up a bit to see if the rings are intact.  It’s hard to tell from the pics but it appears like it may be close.  As far as the knot being there where the handle is should be ok.  You may be able to get that knot out and do a center shot.  I may move the center of bow to be right at the knot so as to not have the fades affected with the knot.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 09:34:59 pm »
Thanks for the info SuperDav.  New at this and had not thought of that.  Think I will try wetting it down with hot water and using a scrubber on it to clean it more. 
What about the area were limb was cut off?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 12:25:04 am »
Sorry I misunderstood.  Thought that small limb that was cut off was the knot in the middle.  You may be able to work around it ok depending on the type of bow you build.  A pyramid style might allow you to get a tapered end of one of the limbs of you bow to the one side of you lay it out right.  You’d have to remove that limb to be sure and draw knife around it to see what you got left I think.  I would lay out your design keeping to the one side that has more material and see how it goes.  If it’s still green though I would scrape some more bark and cambium off then seal it up along with the ends and let it dry for couple weeks and see where your at for mc.  If you work it too soon you’ll get checking and splits.  Best of luck

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 05:48:10 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I had waxed the ends when I cut the tree  (before splitting) and then again after splitting.  This is my first try and probably not the best stave, seems to have a lot of twist along with knots.  Will wax the back an put it aside for several weeks to let it dry.   Humidity in the shop at this time of year runs about 45%, has incoming central heat and air but no return air (keeps the smells out of the house and the wife happy).   Who is a good source for hickory staves?
Pic is of green stave with center line.  Looks off but its the only line that allows enough wood on each end.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 11:44:16 pm »
I’ve got some hickory staves if your looking.  Dm me if your interested in a trade perhaps.  You might have enough to work with there anyway on your stave. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 02:10:44 pm »
Thanks for the offer, will keep it in mind.  I started this and feel like I need to see how far I can take it, currently its on the top shelf in the shop to dry for a couple of weeks.  Good or bad, it will be a learning experience.  I need to locate a draw knife, any info on a good brand?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 04:08:06 pm »
I made my own draw knife but I have some older ones that I got from a flea market emporium.  One of the name brand ones is a Henry make I believe.  It’s decent and holds good edge.  The one I made hold better edge as it’s made with 5160 carbon steel.  There’s a lot of good brands out there.  Personal preference comes into play a little on the angle that the handles are set at but get a few cheap flea market ones and try them you’ll learn quick which ones you prefer. 

superdav95@gmail.com