Author Topic: Thinking about sinew  (Read 3417 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Thinking about sinew
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 06:44:55 pm »
Well the vote seems to be unanimous.

I think I’ll be pounding sinew on my lunch break

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Piddler

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 07:23:41 pm »
Don't mean to hijack your thread BJ but I have a sinew question that I need some answers on. How thick do you take the sinew down to when breaking it down. I know the more you tear it apart it starts to come apart in short pieces. So, would something like a #2 pencil lead work or can it be bigger or should it be smaller diameter wise.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 07:56:40 pm »
I always enjoy the process of sinew backing short bows like this!  It always amazes me when the sinew starts curing up and setting.
1’—>1’

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 07:57:28 pm »
there is some nice info on Pats thread,, but its pretty forgiving, finer seems to be the preference
yes its like magic when it starts to dry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 08:12:37 pm »
Don't mean to hijack your thread BJ but I have a sinew question that I need some answers on. How thick do you take the sinew down to when breaking it down. I know the more you tear it apart it starts to come apart in short pieces. So, would something like a #2 pencil lead work or can it be bigger or should it be smaller diameter wise.
Piddler

Ask away piddler. I’ve got a few myself.

It seems like I remember Dbar soaking his sinew an processing it hydrated. Seems like I remember him saying it really worked good

Brad I was planning on keeping an eye on Pat’s build.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 10:01:23 am »
Well I got a little time to do some sinew processing. I’m not done and I’m thinking this whole project once I have everything gathered and ready is going to take several hours I will need to pretty much dedicate to applying the sinew. I’m not sure how I’m going to pull that off, but worry about that when I get there.

I am wondering how you guys prep though?

I have never actually used leg tendons before. I have them broken down to where I can easily separate the individual strands.

It was harder to get to this point with the leg tendons than back sinew, but I’m surprised how long and uniform the strands seem to be so far. I think I will be using it for other projects in the future.

I hear washing in dawn dish soap and combing with a brush.

When do you do this? And do you get to individual strands prior to this?

So far just working on it in my limited spare time. Here’s what I have so far

Bjrogg

Started by getting to here

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 10:02:49 am »
Then I started separating and have it all to where I can easily separate now.

Bjrogg

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 10:19:17 am »
Yep. Prepping sinew isn't an easy task but the end results are very satisfying. Looking really good BJ.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 12:54:51 pm »
you almost there,, :)

Offline superdav95

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 02:07:46 pm »
Looks like good stuff you got there bj.  I’ve personally tried the process while wet and I found it does work but is sorta messy sticky stuff when wet and harder to handle I found.  I did notice little less waist but not enough for me to have the benefit of working the stuff dry.  To me I find the dry working this stuff better.  It separates good so long as you got good quality tendons or back sinew.  Some of the back sinew I use from moose and elk or Buffalo is quite thick similar to leg tendons.  I pound it all with a 16” piece of muscle wood sapling about 2” diameter.  I use a small maple stump to pound onto to break up.  I used to use a metal hammer but found I waisted more material.  Also resist the urge to speed up the drying but putting it in the oven or dehydrator. It doesn’t end well.  Let it air dry.  I waisted a lot of good sinew trying to rush it.  Here’s a couple pics of the dog brushes I use to get the separating fibers done initially.  I then use a standard wire brush from there all while dry.  The other big benefit of working this sinew dry is measuring it with a good scale.  Also measuring for length.  It hard to fully know your weights of sinew while wet.  It’s important to get as equal weights on each limb.  Obviously this makes for better balance in limbs.  I’ve seen guys just place it on randomly in groups of strand bundles and maybe this works out for them but I personally like the methodical approach with careful measurements dry getting consistent lengths of the strands.  It just work out good for me this way.  I use dawn dish soap as it’s mild but good for cutting oils out well.  You’ll know it’s good when it’s almost squeaky when you get it good and wet pull it through your fingers. I had some elk sinew that was quite good but had a pronounced red look to it after being dried.  I pounded it well and separated it all up well and had a pink tinge to it.  After washing it all up with dawn it was white as flour.  Don’t wash it with hot water either.  Use Luke warm water.   The finer you can get the strands now the better finish you’ll end up with in the end and less air voids in the dried sinew.  More of an esthetic thing I guess but still want your sinew nice and tight fitting of the strands together.  The wrap help with this a bit too.   (I’m going to add this reply to my post about sinew also). Best of luck bj!   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 02:32:56 pm »
Yep. Prepping sinew isn't an easy task but the end results are very satisfying. Looking really good BJ.

Thanks Steve I sure hope so

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2022, 02:35:03 pm »
Thanks Brad I do think you are right as far as the sinew goes. I think I should be able to separate the strands out fairly easily now.

Applying it to to bow might have to wait a bit

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2022, 02:42:23 pm »
Thanks Dave I was hoping you would give some advice.

I did wash the tendons in soapy dawn dish water when I first harvested it. That really helps with removing some of the sheath that surrounds it and a lot of the fat.

It does still have a little

If I understand correctly next I should continue separating it and then wash with dawn?  I’m thinking I will have to comb it out then, get it straight and let it dry again. Or should I just wait until I’m ready to apply it to wash it again?

Hoping to avoid learning things the hard way.

Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 03:28:44 pm »
I always use back tendons. So much easier, but, still a ton of work. That stuff is looking really good BJR.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 03:43:40 pm »
cant wait to see the finished product!  (-P
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.