Author Topic: PO cedar vs Doug fir arrows  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Muskyman

PO cedar vs Doug fir arrows
« on: December 10, 2022, 11:55:41 am »
Getting time to get some arrows and was wanting to get some pros and cons from some of you on PO shafts vs doug fir. My thinking from what little I know is to get PO cedar for practicing till I see what spline and tip weight are working best. What kind of shafts do you prefer and why?

Offline Selfbowman

Re: PO cedar vs Doug fir arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 12:11:35 pm »
Both are fine . Just get the spine right.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 01:25:54 pm »
Doug fir seems tougher and better at staying straight, for me at least; POC smells better when you cut tapers (or break an arrow).

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 12:13:02 am »
Douglas fir that has narrow growth rings is exceptional in its strength to weight. However the hardness of the wood from early to late in each ring year varies in the extreme. POC is more homogeneous in its density. Both are excellent arrow woods if you can find them in the right grade. For me DF is ubiquitous and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 10:22:32 am »
Probably the most commonly used wood shafting is POC. I've used it for many years with good results. Unfortunately it isn't the same quality as it was when I started but I'd still use it. I've used Doug fir and Sitka spruce with good results. These seem to be slightly tougher and a bit heavier than POC. To get the proper spined arrows for a bow try a sample pack from one of the suppliers like 3Rivers(a sponsor) or other reliable suppliers and figure out your best spine option.
 One thing about arrows though is each bow should have it's own arrows. Not all arrows are right for all bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 10:12:18 pm »
I have lost any and all love for POC as I have found that the shafts are as delicate as spun glass. I will go with Dougies or Sitka any day of the week. I have yet to get a bad stick from Carson at Surewood Shafts, good man, good shafts.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 10:39:18 pm »
Pat, I have a test kit from 3rivers and might get another one this heavier. Need to finish my bow and see how they shoot out of it. I have the middle test kit that goes from 45 to 65 lbs.
JW, I have been on Surewoods site and read lots of good reviews about their shafts. When I get some Doug fir that’s where I plan on getting them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 11:24:19 pm »
Those weights, 45 to 65 is for a finished arrow 28" long with a 125 gr head. You can decrease that dynamic spine weight by leaving the shafts full length and slowly reduce the length until you get the arrow to shoot well. For each inch above the 28" you can reduce the dynamic spine weight by 5#. By raising or lowering the tip weight by 25 gr you can decrease or increase the dynamic spine weight too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 04:43:51 pm »
My draw length is 30 inches. Typically I shoot 30&3/4 inch arrows. So I probably should get the next heavier test kit. Heads on the kit I have are 125 gr  The few shots I took with this bow didn’t shoot very well, best I could tell. Tried to slo-mo video but was hard to see very good what my arrows were doing.. I’ll get it figured out eventually.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 04:48:00 pm »
Stand about 10 yards away and shoot your arrow into a target. Does the fletch end of the arrow point left or right?

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 07:58:45 pm »
Best I can recall, left. I do remember it shooting to the left. It’s not a very stationary target and when it hit left it would turn it.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2022, 11:00:11 am »
Doug Fir all the way. It’s strong and stays straight.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows