Author Topic: Eastern woodlands 2 fletch orientation?  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Aaron1726

Eastern woodlands 2 fletch orientation?
« on: December 14, 2022, 12:30:59 pm »
So in doing some research, I see some different approaches to the so called cherokee 2 fletch feather orientation.  I am curious how you all do things.  Do you orient feathers () about the shaft? Or curved out )( ?  I have always done with the curve going out and it gives more of a 4 feather look from the end, but just curious if there is an advantage to one over the other, or just how others approach it.  Thanks

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Eastern woodlands 2 fletch orientation?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 12:33:41 pm »
Here are the orientations I'm referring to.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 10:57:57 am »
I’ve always wondered this too. I used to put them on the shaft like (o) but it just didn’t look right. They flew well. I’ve seen Don Burchett on old posts fletching them like )o( and it looked much better. I’ve been meaning to try it on a dozen.

Here’s a link :
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=62932.0
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 09:03:40 pm »
Thanks Organic Archer, those are some nice lookin arrows in your link, mine are still a bit more crude looking :).  I first started doing this style on my atlatl darts and that is where I saw folks laying them on )( so that is what I kept on doing for my arrows once I saw how affective the 2 fletch could be.  Maybe it doesn't make a difference and it's all preference?  I guess one should get a set of arrows fletched one way that shoot consistently well and then refletch to the other orientation and see if groups open up or get smaller, or is sound is any different.

Here's one of my 2 fletch on the bottom.  I also leave a bit longer length on the shorter half than what the ones in your link showed.  Seems like there are several variants if this style.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 07:31:04 am »
I have wondered about this since the first two fletch I made.

I have tried both ways and they seem to fly nice either way. I have no idea if one is right or wrong.

I don’t make replicas. I just make my rendition of a two fletch.

Sometimes for me it just comes down to which way seems to lay the quill tighter against the shaft and fletch neatest in the rear.

If I had to pick one I would probably use )o(

Bjrogg

Ps I am curious if there is a right or wrong
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 07:34:46 am »
Also I don’t think I have ever used wing feathers for two fletch. I started using tail feathers and that’s all I’ve used for two fletches. I might have to try wing feathers but I have to say I really like the tail feathers so far.

Bjrogg

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 03:40:17 pm »
I'm just the opposite, bjrogg, all mine have been wing secondary feathers (at least the turkey feathers ive used, crow tail feathers work pretty good).  I need to try turkey tail feathers, i do like the look of them, something a little different, too.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 05:40:46 pm »
I’m curious to

I like the tail feathers. They are very quiet. I’m not sure if the wing feathers would be the same.

I first used them on Atlatl darts too. I was really surprised how much rotation I got with my darts. Almost to much as I’m thinking it probably causes quite a bit of drag and cost me speed and distance.

I might go with less fletch on next dart.

Bjrogg

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 02:19:26 am »
For what it's worth, I've always fletched my two-feather arrows with the curve side outward. )o(

I also trim them down really low. Usually no taller than 5/16". I try to use soft (wing) feathers as well. Any other method seems to make the arrows kind of noisy when they fly.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline paulc

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 02:48:01 pm »
Front of feather on top or bottom of ahaft, in line w nock? Feather "wraps a quarter turn to either side of shaft..?

Been trying again lately to make a successful arrow and fletching I find to be a complete nightmare....

Paul

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 12:17:19 pm »
I do mine by trying the rear (closest to the nock) of the feathers first with the feathers oriented laying over the nock.  And they are perpendicular to the nock, so on the left and right of the arrow.  Then I fold them over the wraps and tie on at the front with the front ends in line with the nock so the feather twists 90 deg.  Next time I fletch one I'll take some pics and post them.  I also find it helpful to mark the shaft first where I want things and also a tiny drop of superglue to hold the feather to the shaft while tying to keep things straight and tight.  I'm sure there are other ways as well, this is just what works for me.  Hope this helps

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 09:17:01 am »
Paul, I fletched one up last night and took a few picks so you can see how I do mine.  I start with the feathers, in this case turkey wing secondary feathers.  I pull back some from the end to mark the back of the fletching and then peel off the sides as shown to get the length.  I don't have any set size really, just have some arrows that shoot good and I use those to guide the next ones. 
After the quill is clean I trim the back end down to near the quill and then split the quill for the front half.  The splitting part is where I had a big learning curve and have ruined several feathers.  If you use more delicate feathers with a smaller quill you can skip the splitting part.
Finally I prep both ends of the quill by scoring then so the binding can grip good.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 09:21:03 am »
Next I mark the shaft where I want the wraps front and back and where the quill should be.  The rear is perpendicular to the nock and front in line with it.  Then I super glue the back down so that the feathers lay over the nock, at this point they are positioned (0) about the shaft.  Then I wrap (in this case with artificial sinew) and trim the end.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 09:27:35 am »
Now I fold the feathers back over the wrap and glue them to the shaft at the marks making sure they are tight to the shaft, this will give 90 deg of twist to them.  Once they are glued on, the ends are trimmed and tapered.  If the alignment is off, you can easily pull free (so long as you glue sparingly) and re position things.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 09:30:40 am »
Now just wrap the end and use a loop of other string, in this case a small loop of b55, to secure the tag end.  Then trim and done.  At this point you could shoot it as is, or trim it up how ever you want.  I like to trim mine a bit shorter.