Author Topic: Red Osier Arrow Shaft Question  (Read 2330 times)

Offline blindarcher

Red Osier Arrow Shaft Question
« on: December 14, 2022, 04:29:37 pm »
I am currently making a set of Eastern Woodland arrows using Dogwood (Red Osier).  Two of the arrows are intended replicas of a Shawnee arrow which is made from "hardwood" and probably not Dogwood.  My concern is that the Dogwood bare shaft is a bright white when new and may not represent that of the arrow I am trying to replicate.  I do not know what color the bare shafts are of the the Shawnee museum artifact (Located at the Univ of Penn Museum).  Also, I do not have a reference as to what color a bare shaft of Dogwood would be if aged but left natural.  Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Red Osier Arrow Shaft Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 10:44:13 pm »
I don't know what red osier dog wood looks like with age, but For what it's worth, I'm in central NC and most of my arrows tend to take on the patina of our lovely red clay :)
Most of my arrows are holly shoots which start out very white.  I am curious what others have seen though, red osier is one I've wanted to try for shafts, just haven't found any locally.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 04:00:10 am »
I dont know either but I'd try to put iron acetate on the shaft to darken and reduce the shininess, then a light, uneven sanding and after that alot of burnishing with a round hard surface that in some case simulate the patina and prolonged use

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 09:28:17 am »
Come to think of it maybe fuming with ammonia could produce a better result

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 09:57:31 am »
Add pine pitch varnish or amber shellac for a finish to take away the brightness.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 11:52:07 am »
Thanks all!  I have added various stains including experimenting with natural pigments to get a patina finish.  My conundrum is knowing what to target to get an old look for the dogwood after many years of exposure to yield an authentic look, whatever that is.

The NC comment about the red clay bring back memories of living in Charlotte 20+ years ago.  Good times!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 02:38:15 am »
Red osier stays bright white for a long time. At least mine did. But I've heard that Eastern Woodlands Indians preferred arrowwood viburnum for their arrows. This wood is not as bright as red osier and sometimes becomes gray-ish. It's also heavier and harder than red osier.

The color of the arrows is also affected by what you use for a finish coat. Animal fat can be mixed with finely ground pigment of any color and applied. But I've recently read an account (in a museum in Vermont, I think) that the "oil" from the castor gland of a beaver was commonly used as water repellent. I don't know how this would affect the color of the wood, though.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline M2A

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 08:27:34 am »
Was looking into some information about bows yesterday and came across some pictures. Recalled this thread. Figured late or not maybe it would be some good information for you
://choctawnationculture.com/choctaw-culture/early-choctaw-traditional-arts/bows-and-arrows.aspx#:~:text=The%20bow%2C%20%22Iti%20Tanampo%22,see%20Making%20a%20Choctaw%20Bow)..

The Choctaw cultural services web site has a couple pictures of dogwood or believed to be dogwood arrows. The Peabody set and the Lopez may be examples of what you are looking for.  Wish I knew how to copy and paste better but hope it helps.
Mike   

Phillip King

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 01:36:26 pm »
 :) :OK