Author Topic: "Momīs Chopping Board" - An ELB Stylish Takedown Bow  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Lehtis

Re: "Momīs Chopping Board" - An ELB Stylish Takedown Bow
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2022, 11:04:19 am »
Thank you, guys!

By the way, would be nice to meet some of you on this side of the pond in February... http://www.wiac2021.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR13_SXSq7ORD3jJ4cx9d0yn5c1_i4FDHT2z5RULAjLmGYvc--0sqFuZAYM

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 03:12:01 am »
Very nice bow and story! Mom boards will bring good karma for sure  :OK
I'm also impressed you are going to compete with a 82 lbs bow. I'm not comfortable with much less weight  :NN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 08:02:08 am »
Beautiful bow in all aspects.Love it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 10:24:20 pm »
congrats,,  (-S

Offline Stephen

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2022, 01:49:24 pm »
What a splendid mastery of complexity with skill and panache.  Bravo.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2022, 01:10:37 am »
Sorry to inform that the black bamboo backing didnīt last and after ca. 2000 arrows it popped seriously at lower limb. The belly and momīs chopping board core are OK. Itīs now waiting for some actions in my workshop. Propably Iīll sand the backing away and replace it with moso bamboo; see my comment copied from my BB-PH-OO Chain:

"I have no real information about the species and origin of this bamboo; ordered it from Denmark. Looks like they have some mold or fungus because of their inner surface is a bit grayish/blueish. Anyway, Iīve made two well performing one piece longbows (78 lbs @ 28") from two of the best black bamboo slices I got but both of these takedowns have had problems showing splinters and the first one is currently non-shootable. Actually, I have plans to sand the black bamboo backs away and replace them with common moso bamboo. A bit thinking required how to secure the bamboo slice ends near the takedown sleeves. Nock ends are easier. To be seen next January."

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 08:59:22 am »
Fixing project of this bow continues. Black bamboo backing sanded partly away and replaced with moso bamboo. Propably next week end some rasping, sanding and tillering...

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2023, 01:08:14 pm »
Lookin good.  I like hearing these kind of man vs bow triumphs.  Keep at it
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2023, 11:07:35 am »
Both "Momīs Chopping Board" and "The Leatherback" (now ex- ) with new moso bamboo backs. Nex week end, hopefully, some scraping, sanding, tiller and poundage checking. Letīs hope the best.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2023, 07:31:00 am »
R.I.P. this bow (= will be burned in my sauna’s fireplace). It exploded, upper limb, immediately when I started re-tillering. Obvious reason is that the new back didn’t last stretching at handle sleeve because of it was not possible to insert it under the sleeve. Also the nock end gave up even though I tried to tie them with dacron before re-tiller attempt. The other bow gave unpleasant noises also so I gave up with it too. This means I’ve got to pack my old gear for WIAC 2023 trip to England.