Author Topic: Source for Rawhide Bow Strings  (Read 2821 times)

Offline blindarcher

Source for Rawhide Bow Strings
« on: December 17, 2022, 12:01:09 pm »
Can anyone direct me to a source to get rawhide bow strings?

Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Source for Rawhide Bow Strings
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 04:38:08 pm »
You'll probably have to make one yourself. I've never made one but I doubt it's very difficult. Maybe someone will come on and help with how to do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 03:44:39 am »
Don't know how to do it, but remember reading that Woodchuck Hides were prized here in the Great Lakes area. Was considered the "Primo" Material. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 08:11:51 am »
I have heard the same thing Bob and have a couple in rawhide just in case I decide to do one some day.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Muleman

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 10:45:16 am »
Squirrel rawhide is tough as can be,easy to find purty much everywhere  I made a 3 strand squirrel rawhide string put it on a little hackberry bow,I bet I've put 10,000 shots thru it with no issues,I admit I live where it's low humidity so that's not a issue either,it's about a 45lb bow at my draw,hope this helps,Mule

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 12:58:01 pm »
Done it a few times. Only used deer rawhide. Not a big fan honestly. Sinew is a better natural option. Made a handful of sinew strings but they're for nostalgia only. Hard to beat man-made materials. I highly doubt you'll find many guys that make them for sale. It would be a nightmare for warranty and explain to people how to properly use them. Very easy to make. Cut a 12-in round circle of rawhide. Then start cutting it in a spiral pattern  1/4 to 3/8 wide all the way around. Soaking and stretch all the strands and twist together while wet. Hang a weight off it to dry. Do not over twist the plies as that will cause wicked stretch and  vibration