Author Topic: Osage sapling  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Muskyman

Osage sapling
« on: February 20, 2023, 10:17:37 pm »
I have a chance (maybe) to get a Osage sapling. It’s probably 4 inches in diameter. It’s growing next to a pretty good sized tree. I don’t have a bandsaw that would cut it into. How would you cut/split it or would you just try and get one bow out of it.

Offline organic_archer

Re: Osage sapling
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 10:40:06 pm »
I’d pick the best side and try to get one bow from it.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 01:57:37 am »
 Na, 4" is splitable. Providing the grain doesn't spiral  on the bark.  Rough it into a blank, with wide tips, then give it a couple of coats of pva. After the glue is dry, tie/clamp it down to a form(with a bit of backset if you want), that will stop any tendency for the stave to twist.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 09:18:18 am »
I got two bows from a 3” Osage branch once, just got lucky splitting it.  I figured whichever half was big enough would be my stave, but I ended up with two good ones.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 10:18:40 am »
Read once on here about helping split with a circular saw and was thinking about trying that to help slit it. After taking bark and sapwood off and trying to get a read on the grain. It looked like a nice straight piece but I need to really look at it again. Best I can recall it’s 6 ft or so before any limbs come off main part and the bark looked straight. I’ll take photos if I get it.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 03:32:31 pm »
I used to straddle the log and using a e2 lb sledg drive a couple of iron wedges into the log. I'd alternate them. 4" diameter can be split.  Do wear safety goggles and gloves. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline richgibula

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 09:20:49 pm »
Splitting would work if the grain is straight.  I tried a split on a 6 inch mesquite but the grain was spiral and the split went round and round the trunk.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 10:38:46 pm »
you could always score it where you want it to split,,
not suggesting what you should do since I cant see it,,
maybe drive to someones shop that has band saw,, problem solved,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 09:54:30 am »
I've found sometimes if you start your split in the center of the stave(lengthwise) that it will split straighter. If the grain is spiraled it will never split straight because the split follows the grain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 07:32:56 pm »
Split it then the grain almost never lies. Better to get one good bow than be greedy and get none.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 04:12:47 pm »
Talked to the guy who owns the property where my sapling is today. Pretty much a done deal. I’m going to get it in the next few weeks.
Another stave for my stash. Slowly getting a decent stash built. Just a waiting game now on the Osage.
I’ve got a yew stave and a hickory that are aged enough to work. Probably try one of those next. Well after I finish what I’ve been working on anyway.