Author Topic: Sneak peak.  (Read 9864 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Sneak peak.
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2022, 10:17:26 am »
Well dome, Arvin! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2022, 10:48:13 am »
Thanks guys . The tip overlays are pretty small deficits. I like them and think they add to the appearance. May not win but looks good trying.🤠🤠🤠
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 10:31:55 am by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2022, 01:29:39 pm »
I do agree they look great, just wondered in your search for performance if the fraction of ounce would help contribute to the total ounces you’re looking to save.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2022, 02:15:36 pm »
Oh I guess any fraction is to much . But I’m not that good yet. Probably won’t achieve that in my lifetime. Well the glue on was coming off so cut it off. I hate glue joints in a handle. Any suggestions????

Offline Beba

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2022, 09:21:27 am »
I use a toothing plane for my glue on handles. It does leave a saw tooth pattern to the glue line on each end but, my glued on handles don’t pop off any more. Basically, it’s doubling the glue surfaces.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2022, 11:56:31 am »
Any suggestions????

Glue it better next time?  (A) ;D

Sorry about that, couldn't help myself. My only answer would be to re-glue it with a more careful prep the next time, but I doubt you did a bad job of that the first time around. What did you use for glue?

Your fades are pretty steep but most of that is on the glued on portion and the main bow body thickness transitions pretty smoothly from the limb thickness to the glue plane, which is where it really matters. The bow body thickness under the glued on handle also looks to be enough that the glue joint shouldn't be really heavily loaded. Maybe try smoothing the fades on the glued on handle a bit to ease that transition some more?

Just an FYI, for those that like to groove up or coarsely sand their lams and other gluing surfaces, Smooth On recommends prepping surfaces with 120 grit paper for use with EA-40 and there is research saying that a freshly planed surface is significantly better than any sort of abrasive prepped surface for bond strength. Despite what people think, glue bonds at the microscopic, cellular level in woods so what it sees as a rough surface and what we feel with our fingers are two different things. The only thing a rough surface seems to offer is voids in the glue line that might be good for avoiding glue starvation in the joint, similar to how fumed silica works to prevent the joint from closing tight.

Mark

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2022, 05:01:52 pm »
Will this work?

Offline Badger

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2022, 08:06:55 pm »
   I never go over about 64" long with a glue-on handle if the handle section is 3/4 thick. Not sure if the liquid weld is any stronger than tight bond, I know some of the epoxies are stronger.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2022, 11:15:20 pm »
Only thing I can tell you is the longer the set time, the stronger the epoxy.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2022, 11:28:16 pm »
   I never go over about 64" long with a glue-on handle if the handle section is 3/4 thick. Not sure if the liquid weld is any stronger than tight bond, I know some of the epoxies are stronger.

If the bow is your usual 69" or even 68"... and it was only 64"... it would have to trim some weight off.  So, let me know how much shipping is...send it to me...and make a shorter bow.   :OK   (lol)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2022, 07:09:12 am »
I’m watching Arvin. I’m interested in your outcome and what you learn from this one.

My suggestion for gluing on handle is to rip som thin laminate strips on your table saw. No more than say 1/4” thick. Then prep everything like normal. Stack the laminate’s together with glue between each piece. Clamp it good and tight. ( I use TB 2 so I clamp tight might not want to clamp as tightly with epoxy) and let dry.

The thin laminate strips will bend slightly if they have to and not pop off. You can use a couple of different wood types to make it more interesting. I’ve had really good results using this method and never had one pop off

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2022, 07:16:00 am »
See if I can find a picture

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2022, 07:18:58 am »
The reason I use the thin strips is so the handle doesn’t pop off. You don’t have to use different wood types, but it’s an easy way to get a nice look. At least I like it.

Bjrogg

Offline bambule

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2022, 07:58:18 am »
I do the same and put a kind of powerlam as the first layer.
I had the same problems in the past when I glueed on a handle, after I switched to the powerlam solution all my handles still hold...

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2022, 09:41:08 am »
Will black walnut be strong enough? I have some bow limb laminates about 3/32” thick . And I think I will get some slower setting  glue.