Author Topic: Bow string material  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Bow string material
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2022, 08:48:39 am »
I have posted this before on how I locate the right angle for string grooves. I always use overlays, like Pappy I like the way they look.

I cut the groove across the back and use that on the strung bow until I get to full brace. At full brace I use the string to show me where the side nocks need to be. I mark either side of the string and cut my nocks.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022, 10:10:26 am »
Thanks Pappy and Eric. I actually watched a video last night by Richard Head longbows about putting cow horn on bow tips that was pretty much like y’all were saying about doing nocks. I’ll use your method on my next bow which I’ll probably put overlays on.
Hope everyone is staying warm in this weather we’re having. -8 here this morning 20-30 mph winds. I hope my power doesn’t go out, a common occurrence where I live.

Offline Chumash

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2022, 11:41:24 am »
B 50 or B 55 is polyester

Spectra and Dyneema are  Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene (PE-UHMW) oder high-modulus polyethylene (HMPE))

D97 and Fast Flight + is Dyneema SK 75
Spectra is analog to Fast Flight - Dyneema SK65

Offline Piddler

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2022, 07:31:29 pm »
Thanks for the info fellas.
Muskyman, A tip on cutting string grooves the same, that I believe I got from this site, is to use two files. Barely start a good groove then put it on bottom. Place a file in it and use it as a guide for cutting the other one. I do a little at a time so I have correction time.
Pappy, I usually do a 45 as well but seem to need to open the bottom a bit for a smoother transition as you mention. I have some overlay material just haven't done one yet, with the exception of a kid bow that the tips got too skinny to cut a string groove. They are about the same as Eric described and work good. I do like the way overlays look though.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"