Author Topic: Bow backing materials  (Read 744 times)

Offline Muskyman

Bow backing materials
« on: December 19, 2022, 05:53:13 pm »
Just wondering for my future bow builds where you guys get stuff like snake skins and sinew etc. I found a place on Etsy where a guy from Texas sells sinew 12 pk for 25 bucks and rattlesnake skins for about 50 bucks for a skin about 36 or so inches long with no rattle. The leg sinew looks to average around 8 inches long. I’m sure there’s lots of other places to get these things. Are these prices about right or high? Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for these kind of things..

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Bow backing materials
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 03:35:30 am »
Contact a local deer processor and ask them to save the lower legs for you. All the tendons you want for free. They just throw them away. Same goes for deer hides. Making rawhide is easy. Deer processor 2 miles away threw away 1800 deer hides so far this season. He said I could have whatever I wanted.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 07:53:29 am »
I agree. I use only back tendons, but they are just easily procured with a phone call to a processor. Snake skins are expensive. $100 for a set is a rip off. I would see if you can work a trade on here for set of them. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 09:16:06 am »
I have bought dried rattlesnakes skins off of Ebay in the 32” to 38” range for around $30 each plus postage. I have messaged sellers that I would like matched pairs and have had good luck.
A couple of side notes, snakeskins are decorative only, and supply no protective strength, and the larger the snake, the larger the pattern and will effect how it will look on a narrow limb bow.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 10:41:58 am »
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Pearly, why only back sinew? Also being as new to all this as I am I really don’t have much that I could use for trade. I don’t have to have snake skins for a future bow but, I do think they look pretty cool.
Also like the look of a undressed bow too.

I had thought about the deer processors. From what little I’ve read about it front legs would be easier to get the sinew from. There is a processor in the closest town to me that does deer during the hunting season.

I was aware that the snake skins are just for looks but still appreciate the heads up bentstick.

Thanks again

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 11:32:30 am »
For me, back tendons are much easier to process and ready for use. And, they are much longer and cover more bow per piece.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 12:05:53 am »
I use what ever I can get my hands on. Short stuff, medium , or long. Short is more tedious to work with, but if I have it I use it. Magical stuff.