Author Topic: Greenhouse  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Greenhouse
« on: January 06, 2023, 09:14:39 am »
Decided last summer to buy and set up a greenhouse, the idea is to grow stuff that normally has a hard time growing up here, such as watermelon, honeydew/muskmelon and certain species of peppers and tomatoes.  First order of business was to clear out some land and get it filled in. 

Found a local to bring in some fill and spread it, he brought in over 20 dump truck loads of a sandy/loamy fill and spread it out was his excavator.  Took a couple days for him to get it done, just in time for the first snow fall.

Initially I was going to build my greenhouse from scratch but my wife convinced me to buy one instead.  Buying one was convenient and easy but I'm not sold on the cover, seems a bit too opaque to me.  Still one day later and I had it assembled and covered, it's a 20' X 10' greenhouse from amazon.

Now up here the common problem with structures like these is that snow load will make them collapse in the middle.  I decided to fix the by cutting some small trees and installing them as supports in the middle, I put in 3 of them
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stoker

Re: Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 09:55:28 am »
Looks good. Won't be long before peppers and tomatoes need to be started.
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 12:42:08 pm »
Looks good Marc. It should really help give you a head start. Then later in the season to help finish.

In the middle of the season you will have those nice long days.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 01:28:11 pm »
Big one.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 03:58:55 pm »
Looks Great

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 09:06:19 am »
I hope it works like it should

Normally I cut my own firewood during the winter months but we sold the land I was cutting from last year so this year I had to buy firewood.  I had a load of logs brought in a few weeks after I got the greenhouse set up.

I underestimated the size of the truck, it was huge, and he brought in a bit more wood than I can use, probably close to 2 years supply.  It kind of blocked access to my greenhouse, although I do have a way around.  It's gonna take me awhile to cut up and split that load of logs

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline M2A

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 08:24:39 am »
Cool project. Pretty wise on your part to brace it before any snow load, its a nightmare when a hoop house collapses. Only ever covered houses in clear plastic. Maybe that cover will reflect wavelenghts not needed to grow?idk Good luck with the coming growing season.
Looks like that stack of logs will be keeping you busy for a bit.
Mike       

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 09:25:26 am »
Do you have a log splitter? I tackled a similar pile of logs when I cut 13 medium sized oaks that were growing too close to my house, the first thing I did was to borrow my friends 27-ton log splitter. Even with the splitter it was a monumental job. I gave all the split wood to a good friend that burned wood for heat, it was two 20' trailers and two large pickups full when I got done. Being a wood guy, I just couldn't stand to pile it all in a brush pile and set it on fire.

My wife had just died of cancer and I need this type of work to keep my mind straight. I was 10 years younger (65) than I am now and could work like a demon all day long.

Fortunately, I had a tractor with a bucket on the front, I would cut the logs to firewood length, fill my bucket with them, drive to the splitter and be able to roll the log pieces directly off the bucket onto the splitter, this saved a lot of bending and picking up logs to put them on the splitter.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 08:55:35 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 03:10:45 pm »
Since all the ash died and are laying every which direction everywhere. Several guys in the area have bought firewood processors.

They are for hire. The last I heard it was $150 a hour. We have worked with several of them and hauled so wood for them.

The one we hauled for could probably cut and split that load in about 3 hours.

When my dad was still home but already extremely confused from Alzheimer’s. I would sit with him in my pickup and he would watch the firewood processor for hours. He might have forgotten a lot of things. But he still remembered how much work making firewood was and how easy that processor made it.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 05:13:48 pm »
I do have a splitter, still gonna be a job and a half.

The driver said there was probably 22~23 cords of wood in the load.  Quite a few of the logs are cherry though which I am not too happy with, it was supposed to be a mix of maple, beech and oak.  Still I might be able to use some of the cherry for projects

The cost of firewood has gone way up in the last couple years as supposedly a number of people have decided to switch to wood heating.  Still cheaper than electric and personally I prefer wood heating.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 05:57:20 pm »
Nice green house and good looking bunch of logs, I was going to ask what kind of logs they were but you answered that. ;) I would worry about the snow load yall get but guess you guys from the North have that figured out. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good