Author Topic: Sneak peek 2  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Sneak peek 2
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 08:29:47 pm »
I like that!🤠 or drunk
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 11:51:04 pm »
Color tells nothing of proper tempering. I can hold a heat gun about 1" away and make it look just like that in 20 seconds and it would do nothing for the bow. Or, I can hold the heat gun 3-4" away and it heats through the limb and looks like that after many minutes. The average bow should take no less than an hour to temper.

I agree with this too.  Slower the better.  I may have missed it but what kind of wood is this.  Osage? 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 12:32:38 am »
Osage of course

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 03:52:12 pm »
How many of you guys had this happen while just setting on the tiller board and strung.scared the do do out of me🤠. Getting close about 47@21no set yet but this is where it raises its ugly head. Looks like I may end up with contentious growth ring on back and belly except for at the fades on the belly.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 03:58:57 pm »
That's probably not the best way to take weight off the tips! 

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 04:27:27 pm »
I’ll say this I didn’t like it.🤠

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 04:35:12 pm »
Mark this one has real rectangular limbs. No trapping rounded the edges by compressing the edges with a shaft tamer. We will see how it comes out and I can give you précis measurements in 2”increments.maybe the machine can tell us where I left the mass out . Otherwise it’s me over straining during tiller.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 05:45:36 pm »
Just had a tip overlay let go on the tree at 29”. Scared the **** out of me. I got too close with heat and weakened my ea40.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2023, 01:23:10 pm »
Ok tip overly redone . Tillering nice to 21”45#. I’m trying something new. I’m going to heat treat at this point. Do any final heat a judgments needed. I put the Popsicle sticks under the back and heat as I go. Hopefully the popsicle  will slide with even pressure when done. I spend some time with this if I going all out on a bow. Now I will go back to the tiller tree. And ease into the last 7” of draw.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2023, 01:29:08 pm »
Moisture in s blinking 6%. Chart says blinking is below 5.5%

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 01:47:17 pm »
It looks like yet another nice bow...and a grand experiment.  One reason it takes me longer is that I never work on tiller the same day I heat bend or heat treat.  I have been told that the wood needs to re-hydrate and equalize to your climate. 
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2023, 03:13:59 pm »
Yes Bob I agree with what you said. This stave was that dry in the beginning. Been hot and dry here for some years. What should I do throw in the horse trough for a couple hrs. This is it after heat treat.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2023, 05:57:07 pm »
It looks nice Arvin.

I have heard a lot of people say that heat treat doesn’t seem to help Osage that much. I’m not sure. I heat treated my “Simply Orange “ bow . It was the first Osage bow I ever made. It still had some black on the belly after I was done tillering. That bow has been hunted with. Dragged around in my pickup and worn out two strings. It still holds its original unbraced profile.

I don’t know if it makes as much difference with Osage. I can feel a little difference working the wood after heat but not like when I do HHB. Heat definitely changes HHB.

I still think if done properly and at the right stage in the build. I think it helps Osage too.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 06:53:20 pm »
BJ I feel in this case the heat was used to let the grain straighten it’s self when we get close. I found that the popsicle stick thing helps get the bow blank to fit the caul more even. Sliding the popsicle stick getting even tension as it goes . The more tension as you  go it requires more heat and another popsicle stick thick as you apply the heat .

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2023, 01:09:32 pm »
Ok I tillered out to 21” heat treated and finally straight thru the bow I hope. Touching feeling guys might go away at this point. But I bought a digital caliper here are the results in thickness and width. Pardon my scribble. I started 0 two inches from the string knock. That part don’t bend much at all. I’ll show pics of the marks on the bow. I’ve been striving for perfect diminishing mass for years. I think that’s where it’s at in performance for some reason. Not sure why . Maybe Alan, Jim, or Mark can crunch some numbers for me. Guess at future set and or bow draw weight where she sets know. I can do a force draw to 21” if need be . I have checked the spot in the chart that I think might need to be removed before I proceed much farther.