Author Topic: Ojibwe Arrows?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline TDFoutdoors

Ojibwe Arrows?
« on: January 03, 2023, 07:06:33 pm »
I've been trying to find examples of Ojibwe arrows with lists of materials, and dimensions, But have had little luck. Does anyone have any info or anything to share on Ojibwe style arrows?

Offline Chumash

Re: Ojibwe Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 05:36:05 am »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:45:01 am by Chumash »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 10:46:05 am »
This is from The Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers, Vol. 1, North East, South East and Midwest. by Jim Hamm and Steve Allely, Pgs 124 - 131
Shoot shafts can be from 24" to over 31", some painted, some not. Fletching from 8"(on 24" arrow) to down to (3" on some 31" arrow). Fletch styles are Eastern Woodland style, 3 fletch or tangential style with 3 or more small whole feathers. Heads are bone, steel or integral blunts carved on the end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TDFoutdoors

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 01:59:29 pm »
Thank you very much Chumash and Pat B. I've been wanting to make a Ojibwe inspired bow with a set of arrows to boot, for some time now. It's been much easier to find examples of bows, but not a lot on arrows. Hopefully soon I can start working that project.

Quick follow up question. I would guess there would be some variation in materials, but what would they use for arrow shafts? I'm guessing something like red osier Dogwood, but I'm not certain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 05:41:23 pm »
I'm not familiar with the plant material in their home range but a good guess would be red osier or other shrub dogwoods, viburnum, arrowwood, black haw or others. Maybe even wild rose or horseweed. Any plant that sends up shoots will probably make good arrows.
 Hamm's and Allely's Encyclopedia of Bows, Arrows and Quivers would be a good reference book for you for Ojibwe  bows, arrows and quivers for your projects.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TDFoutdoors

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 11:39:43 am »
Yeah, sort of the stuff I figured. Think I'm going to pick up a copy of that book when I get a chance, seen some pretty good reviews

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 12:04:38 pm »
There is a second edition that has west coast, southwest and plains too. Both are excellent.