Author Topic: Another Icom lost  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Another Icom lost
« on: January 08, 2023, 12:15:52 pm »
I just read on TradGang that G. Fred Asbell passed away recently after a short illness. I don't have any other info at this time but I'll update this as soon as I do. Sad news for the traditional archery community. RIP G.Fred. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

Re: Another Icom lost
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 01:44:09 pm »
I never met Mr. Asbell, although I did write him a letter (must have been in the late 80s or early 90s) asking about Flemish twist strings.  He responded with a nice (typed!) letter and valiantly tried explaining the process verbally, but it didn't work...my attempts always unwound.   :-[ (After a long break from archery, I did eventually figure it out, probably from a Youtube video, or maybe TBB.  Kind of hard to describe in words, even for such a great writer!)  I always enjoyed his books and articles over the years, and still use his wool plaid jackets.   

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 04:15:42 pm »
I never met Mr. Asbell, although I did write him a letter (must have been in the late 80s or early 90s) asking about Flemish twist strings.  He responded with a nice (typed!) letter and valiantly tried explaining the process verbally, but it didn't work...my attempts always unwound.   :-[ (After a long break from archery, I did eventually figure it out, probably from a Youtube video, or maybe TBB.  Kind of hard to describe in words, even for such a great writer!)  I always enjoyed his books and articles over the years, and still use his wool plaid jackets.   

I got a lot of words and know how to use most all of 'em, but I cannot explain how to do a flemish twist so that someone understands it. Now gimme some fibers and 30 seconds of your time and you'll know exactly how it's done. But you gotta give him points for trying to help out.

And ain't that what his legacy IS? He certainly stood on the shoulders of the giants like the Thompson Brothers, Howard Hill, Gilman Keasey, Saxton Pope, Fred Bear, and more. But then the man was always reaching down to help others to climb up onto HIS shoulders.

And by all that ever was, is, or ever will be that makes out hearts sing, isn't the view from up here on his shoulders beautiful? Imagine if we conduct ourselves like him and reach our hands out to help others mount atop our shoulders...what kind of view can we help them see?

Tonite I will start a little backyard fire from osage and hickory shavings. I have a broken bow to burn down and I do believe I will pour out a small libation, maybe even get out that new briar pipe I made and have an inaugural burn. Maybe the smoke will carry my thoughts and appreciation to Fred.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 05:08:49 pm »
Very sad, :(  he was a really great guy and inspired a lot of people including me many years ago. RIP.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 04:40:36 am »
Very sorry to hear this - RIP Fred. Thoughts and Prayers for the Family. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 08:40:53 am »
When I came back to traditional archery in 89, I read Fred's book on shooting traditional bows, some of it worked for me some of it didn't. I was impressed with his knowledge and ordered a Bighorn custom bow from him. The bow was a work of art to me, I was overbowed with the 70# limbs I first bought and ended up with three sets of limbs in the long run. I sold the bow in 96 so I wouldn't keep going back to it and could commit entirely to the selfbows I was building. I wish I still had the Bighorn.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 06:13:49 pm »
So sorry to hear this, he was truly a very nice guy who would talk to anybody. I've had a few conversations with him over the years. RIP Mr. Asbell
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 06:58:25 am »
Wish I could have meet him. RIP

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 03:57:51 pm »
I was not able to meet him, but even for an old guy I am a newbie.  Sorry to hear of his passing!  there will be a void in the community.
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry