Author Topic: stringer issue  (Read 4893 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
stringer issue
« on: April 22, 2023, 06:47:50 am »
OK, so, not an English warbow, but it is a warbow of sorts.  I have made a bow based on the dimensions of the Lillohus crossbow - only the bow so far - as I want to find out what the draw weight might actually have been, as opposed to many "replicas" that have a draw weight to suit the needs of the maker.  The bow is coming out as very strong. I imagine it will be about 300lb but it is way past any means I have to measure it.  Anyway, as you might see from the drawing, it does not have a stringer goove. The nocks are carved differently from each other, if you look carefully.  This could be down to anyyhing, but I am tempted to see a deep groove to sit a stringer on top of a string and a slightly longer pin end to push into a pocket or toggle.  I don't want to steer this conversation in any way, but, if you were me, bearing in mind its a yew lath, unbacked at the moment, what would you use to string it?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: stringer issue
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 03:09:17 am »
Try a loop of rope or a stringer with large loops with the actual string threaded up through the loops.. hang on, I'll do a sketch.
You may need to bind some tape round the limbs to stop it slipping, it will need some experimentation. Failing that, wooden clamps will stop the rope slipping without damaging the prod like metal clamps would..
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.