Author Topic: Steaming or boiling vs dry heat  (Read 569 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Steaming or boiling vs dry heat
« on: January 14, 2023, 12:47:00 pm »
I’ve tinkered with the steam and referred back to dry heat. My question is can you get better configuration to the caul boiling or steaming vs dry heat. Fixing to make a recurve. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

Re: Steaming or boiling vs dry heat
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 01:03:42 pm »
Interesting question. The short answer is yes I believe.  That being said I tend to boil for 30-40 mins as opposed to steam but I’m sure steam is good too.  I personally find that boiling the tips gives a little more time for working the bend around your form.  I’ll note that with fairly green white woods though I’ve experimented with placing on a form or caul while green and allowed to dry while clamped.  Obviously there are limits with this approach but was still good alternative to steam or boil for milder tips or recurves.  The same with green bamboo except I’ll use dry heat to get it pliable. I’ll use forms along with dry heat. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 02:11:06 pm »
Dry heat putting deflex in the handle?
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 02:19:10 pm »
I use dry heat with oil for minor adjustments and steam or boiling for recurves. Dry heat dries the wood out too much making it susceptible to cracking when bending into recurves.
 I use dry heat without oil for heat treating.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC