Author Topic: Self sufficient gardening  (Read 2744 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Self sufficient gardening
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 09:02:35 pm »
Tomatoes,green beans and hot peppers are my mainstay here. We dry and grind the peppers or roast and freeze them. Tomatoes become salsa,sauce or just frozen in bags.(Gonna use some of that in tonight's jambalaya.) Green beans get frozen as well. Sweet corn we just buy from a farm up the road, that way they have to deal with the coons...

Tell me more about the ground peppers. What do you do with them, how do you store them, how long do they last, how do you dry and grind them?

The wife just slices the peppers lengthwise then puts them on baking sheets overnight in the oven on Warm, the lowest setting on our oven. She says she drys them till they are brittle then removes some of the seeds before grinding them in one of those small coffee grinders. We just pour the powder into a mason jar and keep it in the pantry out of the sunlight.
We also found one of those circular food dehydrators at the Goodwill store this Fall and she used that for peppers as well as tomatoes. It worked real well and the dried tomatoes are like those "sun dried" ones at the store.

Offline M2A

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2023, 07:45:15 am »
Good luck with the project.  Sounds like you your off to a good start with some good experience and ideas. YOu may want to do a soil sample and send it off to the county extension services to get it tested just to have some knowledge of the nutrients you have starting out. And you will want to be able to net those blueberry plants to keep the birds out when they get big enough to start cropping them.
Lots of work , but i'm sure your aware of thet. Hope to have a good growing season.
Mike     

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2023, 09:22:36 am »
Another thing about black plastic, I have used it in my garden for 39 years, now that the weather has warmed, I find it warms the soil too much for some seeds to properly germinate. Green beans don't germinate well through it now, spinach germination is terrible, crops like okra, squash, tomatoes and cucumbers love the heat.

I am branching out this year and putting a 2' strip of landscape fabric down the rows to keep down the weeds but will still let the soil breathe and stay cooler. I will cover the big bare areas between rows with plastic.

The thing about plastic is the price is tied to oil prices, being an old guy, I pay the price so I don't have to do any weeding.

One good thing I found out about my plastic; I only planted half the garden the first few years after my wife died, I let the unplanted side grow up in crabgrass that I kept mowed. With this ground left bare, every winter I would have an invasion of flea beetles that would destroy my turnip patch in a few days. The larva come out of the soil, turn into tiny flying insects and go to work on my greens.

It took 3 or 4 days for the flea beetles to do this to my turnip greens. There is something about rough turnip leaves that they can get a grasp on, they have a harder time holding on to slick leaves like kale and collards but can do significant damage to these crops as well.

When I started covering up my whole garden with plastic again the heat killed all the flea beetle larva, no more pests in my greens. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 09:26:47 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 10:05:22 am »
Plenty of good seafood in that area of NC to supplement your veg supply. Big bears down there too. One good size bear would give you plenty of meat and plenty of fat to get you through too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 09:36:51 am »
I'm going to plant a good sunflower patch for seeds and their roots
what do you use the roots for?

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 03:58:00 pm »
I'm going to plant a good sunflower patch for seeds and their roots
what do you use the roots for?

They taste amazing. Like water chestnuts.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TimBo

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2023, 10:38:19 pm »
Regarding canning supplies, keep an eye out for estate sales, garage sales, etc.  You will probably need to buy new lids, but you might luck out and run into unused ones in those places.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2023, 09:16:20 am »
The Face Book Market Place is a good place to pick up canning jars, most folk seem to think they are gold and in short supply then price them higher than new, there are really good deals that come up every now and then.

If the deal is good enough, I don't care how dirty they are, one trip though the dish washer and they are good to go. One thrift shop had 46 qt jars that had been stored in a dirt basement for sale for $6, they were really dirty. I mulled over driving over to get them for a week and they were gone when I called about them.

I bought this used shelving unit for $60 the other day, I have it bolted to the block wall with Topcon screws so it won't move. The surplus place that had them said they had 1500 of them, I waited a month before I drove by to pick one up, they only had 2 left. The bottom line; if you see a deal, you had better jump on it, you are not the only one stockpiling food and looking for supplies.

This shelving unit is a beast, being an old guy, I had to move it to my basement door with my tractor.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:24:17 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Stoker

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 02:16:17 pm »
Eric's advice on storage are very important. A lot of your yeg will carry you into the winter.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano