Author Topic: Small cracks across osage pin knots? (torture test added)  (Read 1872 times)

Offline bentstick54

Re: Small cracks across osage pin knots? (torture test added)
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 06:18:29 pm »
Wow, that’s some serious strain going on. It does show you what a good piece of Osage could be capable of. Hate to see you lose it, it had such a perfect tiller, but good to see the test results. But I know I would have wrapped it, and shot it until it gave up, or I did lol.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2023, 12:36:13 am »
you could sinew back it,, and see how it compares to the self bow version,,no need to burn it,,,it will still kill a deer,,

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2023, 06:09:16 am »
I was impressed by how low the bow's original set was. Even after that sadistic torture test its still got very little set, and no chrysals.

I reckon that it will make a fine hunting bow, either unbacked or with some sinew on it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 01:40:00 pm »
yes Im sure someone would love to have it,, heat it into some reflex,, sinew back and gift,, )P(

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2023, 10:07:09 pm »
Wow!  It should be disposed of properly.  Just send it to me, and I’ll handle it free of charge.

Seriously, back it and go kill critters with it!  Impressive bow in many ways.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 10:01:25 pm »
I couple months a go I built a non working handle 45lb 25 inch draw  58 inch Osage self bow  that lifted a splinter at a knot cluster. I  soaked it with crazy  glue , and wrapped it  with hide glue soaked sinew. So far so good. Watching how you abused your bow makes me think I will be all right with mine for a long time to come.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2023, 07:58:14 pm »
I think arguments could be made both ways about a crack like that. Definitely some non contiguous fibers between the knots that could be a potential point of failure. Being further off the back might mean slightly more tension in that area being further from the neutral plane. But with the width following the grain, you’re not relying on much strength from that area and the crack doesn’t interrupt many fibers at all. Even after being pulled so far, I’m not sure I’d be able to trust a crack like that. Would be interesting to have kept it around to pull on every once in a while to see if it ever let go.