Author Topic: Shooting styles  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Little John

Shooting styles
« on: January 28, 2023, 11:35:20 am »
  I was watching the John Shultz video (hit them like Howard Hill) last night on you tube. I was amazed at how fast he drew a shot the arrow. Most people I see shoot draw slowly, aim, settle in, and take a lot of time with the shot. He talked about Hills split vision method of aiming which I think is still basicly gap shooting which is not that different from instinctive. most instinctive shooters say they do not see the arrow when shooting but how can you not and in the back of your mind use it as a refrence to where the arrow will go. I have switched my shooting style around many times  but keep coming back to what I guess would be instinctive aiming. I just don't see how Hill and Shultz can master it so perfectly. I will have to re watch Byron Ferguson, can't remember if he shoots the same as Hill. I think Fred Bear also shot very quickly. Clay Hayes is a great shot but shoots totaly different than Hill and Shultz. Now I am totally confused.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: Shooting styles
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 02:56:59 pm »
reminds me of this video of Lars Andersen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHpi69mTDos&t=3s
where he explains about instinctive archery. The discussion is semantic (is it really instinctive?) but essentially it boils down to muscle memory and not thinking about the shot, allowing your non-conscious pathway to take over.
He argues there is something primitive in all of us that allows you to shoot that way. He has taught people who never held a bow to shoot at moving targets in a few hours, at least that's what he claims. There's a few other videos on his channel about such "trick shots" that are interesting to watch.   

Offline new carver

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 01:10:20 pm »
All instinctive archers still see the arrow in there peripheral vision and instinctively use it as a guide for
where there arrow will land, even if they don't think about it or realize it. I'm not an incredible shot myself, and I'm lightyears away from Lars Anderson. But the trick to accuracy with any shooting style, is consistency with that style, even people that snap shoot bows accurately still consistently draw to the same place with ever shot. But, as an instinctive archer my self, those things just clicked into place over time with out really thinking about it. But, that takes time, which is why using a shooting style with steps involved, (like gap shooting) can often give better results, or least get them faster.

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 03:47:59 pm »
I suppose I am some sort of an instinctive gap shooter, but do better shooting kind of slow and not snap shooting, gives me more time to make sure I get the back tension, full draw, aim, release with out colapsing, and all that good stuff with out missing any thing.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell