Author Topic: Hickory bow build.  (Read 19107 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Hickory bow build.
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2023, 11:04:23 pm »
I like the string saddles... It reminds me of many years ago when Marc started making his crazy fast bows... he was the first person that I knew who did that.  I hope he is watching this thread.  :)  I really hope it holds together and makes some crazy fast numbers through your Crony.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline superdav95

« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2023, 11:24:35 pm »
Thanks Bob.  I’ve seen some of Marc’s bows and they are very very nice bows.  It’s guys like Marc that have paved the way for a lot of us on here.  I did not realize he did saddles but it makes sense he would as I think there is merit to them for highly reflexed bows for sure.  Thanks for watching. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2023, 11:42:31 pm »
Dave, Marc made me a bow called "White Lightning" that shot a solid 195fps with 10gpp arrows.  It was the fastest bow that I ever shot, but I let it go to someone that could pull the weight when I couldn't.  It had moose hide for the bridges...I think?  Marc? 
It seems to me that you are heading in the right direction.  You and Marc are both way above my pay grade... Congrats!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2023, 12:01:16 am »
Wow that is so cool!  I’ll have to go see him up north one of these days.  I’m sure we could find a few things to talk about for sure.  I’ve never seen this bow before but there are so similarities for sure.  What’s interesting is that I’ve named some of my bow lightning or bolt around the same theme too.  My web page still under development is called “lightning bows”.  Very cool.  Thanks for posting that

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2023, 05:38:58 am »
Dave are you sure the sinew is completely dry? I know nothing about sinew. Regardless the two different natural materials are moving the neutral plane. How close are you on hitting your draw weight. This might be approaching the point of belly failure. With all the recurve.  Interesting for sure. 
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2023, 06:15:57 am »
Thanks Bob.  I’ve seen some of Marc’s bows and they are very very nice bows.  It’s guys like Marc that have paved the way for a lot of us on here.  I did not realize he did saddles but it makes sense he would as I think there is merit to them for highly reflexed bows for sure.  Thanks for watching.

As someone said previously. Crazy Canucks.lol I just hope being close neighbors will rub off on me

Bob that a beauty

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2023, 11:23:06 am »
Dave are you sure the sinew is completely dry? I know nothing about sinew. Regardless the two different natural materials are moving the neutral plane. How close are you on hitting your draw weight. This might be approaching the point of belly failure. With all the recurve.  Interesting for sure.

Arvin.  Yes the sinew is definitely dry.  I made sure to wait the recommended time and then some.  It’s been dry in the house here too.  There are three layers of sinew.  With a couple weeks in between each layer for dry time.  This is a good rule of thumb when applying separate courses of thin layers of sinew as opposed to one heavy layer. This allows the dry time to be much shorter 6 weeks as opposed to 4-6 months.   Adam K covers this in his book thankfully.  It’s what I incorporated here.  For reference the First layer was  about 30-35grams.  Second layer was 30grs.  Last layer was about 35grams.  Total about 95-100 grams.  Now I always comb it out well and remove little bits as I go with each course so that may account for about 5 grams give or take.  I would say 90-95 grams of actual sinew laid down.  I laid it out with a plan for best coverage and emphasis on critical bending parts of the limbs.  No sinew out towards the tips.  The concern with belly failure is my concern too with a bow like this.  It’s pretty extreme build.  The sinew was an appropriate amount for a bow this length and style.  Any less sinew would lessen the benefits of the added sinew in my opinion.   I do realize it’s a fine line there too with adding weight that impedes cast but my previous builds have me around 80-95 grams for bows of this style.  This reflex does make this build a challenge and we shall see if my efforts pay off.  Here’s what I know so far… I know that at low brace the bend looked decent and I knew the bow wood was solid dimensions looked good.  I purposely left it heavy knowing I’d remove more belly wood.  I normally don’t do it this way but wanted to test out my theory of increased performance with keeping belly wood as unstressed as possible.  My theory is that it will.  We shall see.  As far as neutral plane I believe it will be fine.  I may yet remove more belly wood at the fades as you suggest to even and spread out the bend.    I think a 1:1 ratio is ok with this build as this wood is very hard as it’s been heat treated as well.  My experience with heat treatment of hickory that it leaves the limbs quite thin relatively then untreated wood.  I realize that I’m pushing the envelope here with some aspects of this build but I blame guys like you Arvin. ;).  You put that bug in my ear to make a flight bow actually which I’m stoked about.  It’s a cool build that I’m enjoying regardless if it breaks or explodes.  It may just all work out and be a screamer and contender for flight.  Fingers crossed 🤞

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2023, 11:39:27 am »
We’re all routing for you Dave. I know I’d be nervous tackling one that was that close to the edge and posting it as I went.

Might make a good name for her. “Living on the Edge”

Always kinda liked that saying “If you’re not living the edge, your taking up to much space “

Bjrogg

Offline superdav95

« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2023, 12:19:31 pm »
We’re all routing for you Dave. I know I’d be nervous tackling one that was that close to the edge and posting it as I went.

Might make a good name for her. “Living on the Edge”

Always kinda liked that saying “If you’re not living the edge, your taking up to much space “

Bjrogg

Thanks bj.  So true.  Life is too short and too precious to waist it all just cruising along on easy street. ;)

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2023, 04:03:11 pm »
Yeah, this has been a fun build to watch take shape, looking forward to next phase.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2023, 11:18:17 pm »
Ok Dave I have no experience with this kind of build. So I’m watching and hopefully learn from it.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2023, 11:06:07 pm »
Got this low braced again since the sinew.  Doesn’t look too bad.  Got some spots to even out but good enough to throw up on the tiller rig. The tips aren’t perfectly lined up.  The bottom limb tip is good and straight but the top one is off a little to one side.  Not a performance issue I don’t think but a pet peave of mine.  The sinew may have pulled it off too maybe.  Should still be fine.  I’ll get to bending more and post some results.  More updates to come this week.  I think I’ll have to move my string saddles further towards the tips a bit from the looks of things. I’ll keep and eye on this as I go.   Here’s some pics. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2023, 11:29:34 pm »
You're almost there... I think that between your tip design and the large string loops that cradle the last couple of inches of the limb...it'll be just fine.  Looking forward to the finish...  :OK

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2023, 11:19:19 am »
Looking good Dave . How was it to string?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2023, 11:52:28 am »
Looking good Dave . How was it to string?

You got a scary part done.

I still always pucker a little first brace and that one would have a higher pucker factor

Bjrogg