Author Topic: Hickory bow build.  (Read 18341 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Hickory bow build.
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2023, 08:28:07 pm »
Cool you had some big ones
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2023, 11:43:15 pm »
Arvin.  Ya I had some that worked good.  22.5” long.  Glue up went well.  I rasped off some of the glue lines and all looks good.  I had enough clamps I guess.  With the weight of all the hardware and clamps in place I gained a few more inches of reflex.   It’s now at 14.5”.  Not too concerned about this as I am sure the horn is good for it.  The top limb tip got very slightly twisted to the left.  Luckily with horn it’s possible to make minor low heat corrections.  I’ll see if it’s necessary to do when I get to that point.  Glue lines seem pretty good as far I can tell right now.  Here’s some pics.  Thanks for looking
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2023, 11:44:41 pm »
Couple more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2023, 12:37:13 pm »
Nice!! That’s serious reflex. And horn tools so nicely. Could you have trapped the back before when you ran low on belly wood? Just curious.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2023, 01:47:52 pm »
Nice!! That’s serious reflex. And horn tools so nicely. Could you have trapped the back before when you ran low on belly wood? Just curious.

Thanks Arvin.  I don’t think so.  To do so I would have had to do that before the sinew and hog gut covering over the sinew.  The back has a slight crown on it with the addition of the sinew.  To do a trap of back now may violate the carefully laid sinew.  I guess it could be done in theory but the sinew held so strong and should be a good balance with the horn.  We shall see anyway.  I’m hoping for it to be around 800 grams in weight which is similar to my build from last year and it’s a screamer.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2023, 05:25:30 pm »
Things are looking good again  (-P

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2023, 08:14:51 pm »
Things are looking good again  (-P

Bjrogg

Yup. I think it will bow.  Will get back at it Monday. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2023, 09:58:03 pm »

Thanks Arvin.  I don’t think so.  To do so I would have had to do that before the sinew and hog gut covering over the sinew.  The back has a slight crown on it with the addition of the sinew.  To do a trap of back now may violate the carefully laid sinew.  I guess it could be done in theory but the sinew held so strong and should be a good balance with the horn.  We shall see anyway.  I’m hoping for it to be around 800 grams in weight which is similar to my build from last year and it’s a screamer.

I was speaking of trapping before the  hickory got to thin. But thanks for the explanation.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2023, 10:45:41 pm »

I was speaking of trapping before the  hickory got to thin. But thanks for the explanation.

Ah yes. Gotcha.  Ya I never expected it to get so thin. That may have been an option to consider.  Oh well it will get sorted now with the horn I think. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Gordon

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2023, 12:36:26 pm »
That bow is coming along really nicely.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2023, 01:15:42 pm »
Looking good, Dave. How much weight do you think the horn belly will add?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2023, 09:27:15 pm »
That bow is coming along really nicely.

Thanks Gordon. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2023, 09:38:49 pm »
Looking good, Dave. How much weight do you think the horn belly will add?

Thanks Pat.  If I were to guess right now it’s somewhere above 70#.  Likley close to 80.  This is ok as I’m not going to force it this time.  I had put it into my vise sideways and was measuring each limb separately to get an idea of where some removal needs to occur and measured each limb around 45lbs not even to very low brace height.  Still got some scraping to do to get bend looking good but I’m not shooting for 45-48lbs final draw.   Sometimes we have an idea in our heads of what We want and the bow tells us different.  I was trying to fit a square into a round peg with this one and learned a lesson that I may not be able to impose my will on this guy.  It let me know it too.  Sometimes listening is not my best quality even if it’s inanimate objects ;)

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2023, 10:09:50 pm »
Did some shaping of the horn on this bow.  It’s still a little heavy and will be taking it carefully on reducing weight.  I will be getting the bend looking good and letting the bow tell me what it wants to be for draw weight.  I had also added some hood wedges at the bends near the tips to beef up this area to take the strain of added weight.  There is a good ratio of sinew/wood/horn now but still heavier then my initial target draw weight.  About 1/3 for each wood sinew and horn. Have a look.  Here’s some pics. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2023, 07:08:56 pm »
Really have enjoyed watching this, I think your persistence and skill will pay off sooner or later ;) :) :) you said you wasn't forcing your will but you kind of are , it wasn't going to be the bow you wanted it to be so now you are forcing it to be. Hope it finely given in and listens. :) I am rooting for ya.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good