Author Topic: Hickory bow build.  (Read 18305 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Hickory bow build.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2023, 12:36:08 pm »
Dave I like the curves. Cool bow !
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2023, 10:05:19 pm »
Just did the heat treatment today.  It’s still little dark but will scrape a lot of this away yet.  Got a good deep bake on this bow.  Let’s hope it survives the tiller.  If it does it will be a screamer!  Got lots of thickness to take off yet and trim up the tips.    Thanks for following along.   

The last pic got all twisted up but you get the idea.  You can see the depth of the cook goes about little over half way through to the back.  Should be good. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2023, 10:32:14 pm »
Looks great Dave.

That’s how I do my HHB to. I like when I have a little black tint left from the deep heat treatment after I’m done tillering. I’d rather not have to remove all the heat treatment. Just the char.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 01:00:33 am »
Thanks bjorgg.  I’m hoping to keep some of the caremel Color after the tiller.  It took the shape of my form really well. The clamps practically fell off when I was done with heat treatment which is a good sign.  Hhb does work well for heat treatment also yes it’s great stuff if you can get straight piece. 

Cheers.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Will B

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 08:23:13 am »
That turned out really nice, Dave. Good luck with the tiller. Should be a nice bow when your finished with it.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 09:41:32 pm »
Thanks Will.   Not much to update.  I thinned down some with card scrapers a bit but still lots to go to get to target.  I ended earlier then I wanted today as I got sidetracked with something more pressing.  I also narrowed up the tips some too. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2023, 06:13:41 pm »
Been busy here but got little more tillering done on this bow.  Added my horn tip overlays.  Will shape them up better later when I do the string grooves.  Still got more scraping to do but will wait till I get to brace.  It bends good so far.  I’m keeping the handle rather large yet till I get past brace.  I’ve also started dishing out the fades a bit too as seen in the pics.  Thanks for looking and following along. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2023, 07:13:29 pm »
Coming along nicely Dave. Really like how it’s looking so far.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2023, 10:53:19 pm »
Very cool bow, Dave. That should be a screamer.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2023, 11:02:02 pm »
Really looking great so far Dave. Can’t wait to see some progress photos. Someday I hope to try something along those lines, but not sure I’m ready yet.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2023, 11:22:02 am »
Looks great! I am glad you are using a moisture meter. I like my hickory 6-8%.
That 8.5 reading you got is a surface reading and it is probably higher as you go closer to finish.

I suggest  you keep checking and stop when you get a reading higher than 8% and let it dry.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2023, 12:37:22 pm »
great work,, :)

Offline Will B

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2023, 06:38:29 pm »
Looks really good, Dave. I’ll be watching to see how much reflex your bow holds after you get it tillered. Thanks for letting us watch your build.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2023, 08:34:41 pm »
A quick update on this bow.   I got it to low brace and it’s shaping up nicely.  I’ve decided to put a layer or two of sinew on this bow.  The moisture content of this bow after heat treat was not even registering a reading on my meter.  My concern is the dry climate it will be going to and think a little insurance would be a good thing.  The bend at brace looks good and to my eye it would be a great candidate for sinew.  I’m slow cooking a bunch of scrap sinew chunks and pieces for some glue as I’m running low.   Here’s a few pics of it at low brace.  Thanks for following along.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2023, 08:43:07 pm »
 :OK  That looks great.  I'm looking forward to the tillering, full draw, and finished pictures more than ever now.  Great job!
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...