Author Topic: Hickory bow build.  (Read 18344 times)

Offline Will B

Re: Hickory bow build.
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2023, 07:52:58 pm »
I’m enjoying following this build.  That horn belly looks really nice!  Looks like you got a great glue line between the wood/horn interface. Look forward to seeing what weight you end up with and how it shoots for you. Good luck

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2023, 09:49:06 pm »
It may not be the bow you set out for it to be, but you sure have it looking nice at this point. I certainly admire your determination and hope it pays off.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2023, 12:50:20 am »
Thanks fellas.  Now that I’m done with maple syrup I can get back to it.  ;)
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2023, 06:21:37 am »

I was wondering how the maple syrup was going. I know all about those priorities and how important timeliness is in doing them. Curious though. Are you finished with syrup or just caught up to sap? I haven’t talked to my buddy lately. I think he just tapped his trees last week.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2023, 09:38:38 am »

I was wondering how the maple syrup was going. I know all about those priorities and how important timeliness is in doing them. Curious though. Are you finished with syrup or just caught up to sap? I haven’t talked to my buddy lately. I think he just tapped his trees last week.

We are a small operation here.  We tapped our trees in February when we had that week or two of mild weather.  That first couple weeks are what give the best syrup in my opinion.  It’s a beautiful light golden Color and the taste is very good.  This last week we’ve noticed that the Color got darker and decided to shut it down.  Still tastes good but just personal preference.  Sap is still flowing here and guys I talk to are still full steam ahead.  We’ve had enough this year and got lots.  Just boiled up my last gallon of syrup last night.  It’s a fun hobby until it’s too much like work.  It was also getting in the way of my preferred hobby/fetish!  ;)

superdav95@gmail.com

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2023, 11:10:07 am »
My buddy does the same as you. They start early and finish early.

They make some that’s almost as clear as moonshine. Quit as soon as it starts to darken. I haven’t seen him lately so I’m guessing he is still in the woods. From my understanding as soon as the buds start swelling up the color goes.

I asked him about that and he said the same. It’s really just a preference of his but he thinks it’s the best syrup.

Bjrogg

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2023, 11:39:27 am »
What a wild project. Really enjoying watching it unfold for sure.  Thank you.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2023, 12:08:37 pm »
What a wild project. Really enjoying watching it unfold for sure.  Thank you.

Thanks Matt.  It’s a wild one for sure.  Pushing some limits here and hope it pays off.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2023, 06:40:29 pm »
Started working this bow down and bending a bit more the other day and developed a crack in the upper portion of the top limb near the string saddle.  At first I thought it was just the normal cracks and creeks of sinew and glue.  However upon closer inspection and further bending of that limb I found the issue was a bad section of wood in the area just down from from the string saddle for about 3-4”
Long.  I figured this may be it for this bow but figured one last ditch effort attempt. I proceeded to remove the entire hog gut backing cover I had put on top of the sinew which was not happy with anyway on this bow.  After I scraped it all off I began scoping out what I was gonna do about the split in the wood under the sinew… I decided to leave the sinew intact as it had held beautifully and was clear that the wood underneath had failed under the pressure at that point on the limb.  The transition area has a lot of stress focused and may have been partly to blame.  The bottom limb is just fine and bending nicely.   Both limbs were looking good  actually but when the crack occurred I decided to take measures of a more permanent nature then to squeeze thin ca glue down into the area.  I didn’t take pictures prior to doing the repair but here are a few after the fix.  I did put a little patch of sinew on the top to give little more security too.  I’ll add a little to the bottom limb too to balance it out later.  After resting it a few days and letting sinew dry I did some bending and all seems good for now.  I will carry on with the build.  I’m gonna rename this project the “accidental horn bow”.   Both limbs bend good now I think I’ll put equal amount on the same area of bottom limb for good measure.  Here’s some pics.  Thanks for watching.  The section outlined in red is where the new splice of fresh wood went in underneath the sinew.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2023, 09:07:59 pm »
It has been a good learning experience for us Dave.

Maybe like Bob Ross. A happy little accident

Bjrogg

Offline superdav95

« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2023, 11:51:09 am »
Little Update on this build.  I had been waiting on new rawhide for this bow.  The stuff I had on hand was not long enough.  Here’s some pics of it on the bow.  I’ll wait a few days for this to dry now and start bending it again.  Thanks for following along. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2023, 11:52:21 am »
Couple more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2023, 02:24:23 pm »
I think you should call it the sammich bow because of all the layers it has.. wood, sinew, horn and rawhide. Not to mention some mayo glue in there.. I obviously don’t have the talent to make a bow like that but damn. All kidding aside that’s pretty impressive Dave. I’m still trying to figure out how to make a decent looking nock )W(

Offline superdav95

« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2023, 12:46:32 am »
Lol. Thanks mike.  I’ve seen some of your latest bows. Your not fooling anybody.  I think you got the nocks and then some figured out. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2023, 11:57:29 am »
Watching glue dry. All part of it.🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!