Author Topic: Building Draw Knife  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Lost Oki

Building Draw Knife
« on: January 31, 2023, 05:31:52 pm »
Have searched the local antique shops for a draw knife, no luck.  I know that I can pick one up on e-bay but what is the fun in that.  Soooo, I decided to build one.
Went thru my stash of files that I rarely use.  Found a rasp that I have 2 of but don't remember using in the last 20 yrs.  Laid out a pattern for a 7" blade with bent handles.
Broke out the side grinder and started grinding.  After cutting away excess I heated handle's close to blade and bent to what felt like the right angle.  Hunted thru my pile of dried hickory limbs that I cut several years ago when making inletting chisels, shaped the two into handle material and drilled holes.  Research showed I should reduce temper by heating in oven at initial temp of 350-400F for 45 minutes.  Let it cool, file just slide across without any cutting.  Currently waiting on oven to hit 400F for 2nd try.  Time set at 1 hour.  This is an area I am without any experience so suggestions are appreciated. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:55:48 pm by Lost Oki »

Offline Lost Oki

Re: Building Draw Knife
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 12:59:51 pm »
Draw knife came out of oven with a light copper color.  Tried cutting it with a file, a little success but still hard.  Finished shaping cutting area, sharpened on rough stone, glued handles on with 5 minute Epoxy.  will stain and finish after lunch.  Still have a thick layer of sleet on the roads so I have plenty of time.   

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 09:27:03 pm »
Fantastic! I look forward to seeing video of this working on a piece of wood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 09:24:57 am »
Nice work.