Author Topic: gaining weight  (Read 3215 times)

Offline david w.

gaining weight
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:40:18 pm »
Since my best bow broke for really no good reason i have to use my light 40# bow.

Is there any way to add weight?  it is already backed but could i still reflex/recurve it?  i would like to add 10lbs
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline DanaM

Re: gaining weight
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:00:59 pm »
If its backed using heat to reflex will most likely result in the backing coming loose, same with heat treating the belly. If you have enough length you could cut the bow shorter and gain some weight. Best thing is to get busy and build a new bow! Don't you have a nice dry mulberry stave from mullet? what ya waiting for get busy eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:08:55 pm »
yep i have it just not a few tools to work it.  our  cooper friend is going to hook me up with a draw knife and then i will get started ;D  i am busting to get started :)  i want to work it so bad.  the only problem is he lives a while away.  I hope i can start this summer. be prepared for alot of questions wheni do ;D

i completely forgot about piking it down. Its 70" ntn so i have some room to play.  i will pick up about5# per inch right?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:13:05 pm »
David, Start with 1" off of each limb and see where that gets you. You may have to remove more.  After you pike it exercise it good and check the tiller again. Sometimes piking will change tiller.  ;)
   Don't get too anxious about your mulberry stave. You don't want to screw up.  :o    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 02:22:19 pm »
i think i will just make another bow ;D  and then start on my mulberry stave i am really excited about that maybe i can harvest my first deer with it :)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:42:08 pm »
Have you pre-shaped any of the osage you got. It ought to dry pretty quickly at floor tiller stage.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »
you could also try a cable backing instead of piking.