Author Topic: Rawhide to an Osage flat bow with siyah  (Read 7275 times)

splitnock

Rawhide to an Osage flat bow with siyah
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:57:02 pm »
Hello Forum, I am new here and was advisd from Archerytalk.com of what a great site this is and that I would meet the nicest people.
I am a not so good bow builder. Most have either blown up, hinged, slipped a ring, over drawn by a friend 2x.
My current project is an Osage flat bow from a sawn billet. It is pryamid shaped and I want to add siyahs and back it with rawhide. My previous bows were backed with bamboo or hickory I have never used rawhide.
My Question is, Should the rawhide extend out to the ends of the limbs and then add the siyah or add the siyahs and stop or feather the rawhide. Also I saw here that a chap was advised to size the bow and rawhide before he glued it on. Please explain what is ment by sizing. Thanks in advance

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rawhide to an Osage flat bow with siyah
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:05:57 pm »
Welcome to PA, Splitnock.  You will meet the most helpful and friendly folks here. ;) 8)
  Is your new bow a board or stave. If stave, you shouldn't need any backing if you get a good growth ring along the back. Also, if long enough you could just bend the tips up with heat instead of adding siyahs.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:07:51 pm »
Also, I'm gonna move this post to the "bows" section so more people will reply to your questions.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

CutNShoot

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »
If your set on having siyhas I would mount them to the bow wood and cut the rawhide back. If that is a sawn billet I would back it. Also If you just like the look,. you can cut the limb from the end of the bow with a thin saw about 3 times about 6 inch staggered cuts and add some thin wedges between the slices and glue it up on a form the shape you want it.  They look way cool.  But for ease for a rookie I would just heat the tips and bend em over a form or even in between two trees like Pat B said.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 02:53:28 pm »
Welcome to P.A. Splitnock. From what I read from Gordons Build a long at the top of The How To Board Sizing is puting a thin layer of glue on the back of the bow and letting it dry. Before you glue the rawhide down. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:40:05 pm »
For the sizing, all you do is put glue on both surfaces at glue-up to ensure good glue coverage. If you only put glue on one surface its hard to get a good glue joint. With some glues you can let the sizing coat dry first but I have not done that, I glue it up with the sizing application.    Pat

splitnock

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:47:51 pm »
Many thanks to all who gave sage advice. I will hopefully post pics when it is finished.
The Osage is from a sawn billet and requires backing and I know that with added siyahs the hand shock will be terriffic. But I am a sucker for punishment. Too old to change. My Vine Maple at 86 # almost gives you tennis elbow lol.