Author Topic: Norm Blaker  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Norm Blaker
« on: February 28, 2023, 11:00:26 am »
Last night one of the last guards passed on to the happy hunting grounds. I’m really having a tough time finding the words to express what he meant to me and so many others. Thank you for everything my good friend…
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Norm Blaker
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 11:39:18 am »
Stix,
I logged on to post the same.  Davey, texted me early this morning with the sad news.  I along with many looked up to Norm.   

Norm, was one of the most talented men I know.  He had a knack for making something out of absolutely nothing.  In making something "new" appear to be years old.  He was a genuine master, self taught in many of his exploits from trapping, primitive bow making and flint knapping to building flintlock rifles.  I was happy to visit him a couple of weekends ago.  I knew in some way that his days were numbered.  Though it wasn't verbal, I had my chance to say, "Good bye, Ol' friend."

My sincere condolences and wishes to his wife, Jean who laid beside him while he peacefully passed.  She never left Norm's side... ever.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 12:01:05 pm »
Very saddened to hear this.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 12:08:51 pm »
I never met Norm but he was surely one of the pioneers of our obsession. I remember seeing a pic of Norm with a sinew backed working recurve in one of my archery books that made an impression on me to help me get interested in building wood bows.
RIP Norm. Maybe I
Maybe I'll finally meet you on the other side.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 01:16:28 pm »
Very sad to hear, I meet him years ago and he was quite the inspiration, he will be missed for sure. Thought and prayers with his wife and family. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 01:55:23 pm »
I was lucky enough to meet him at the Marshall shoots.  The archery world has lost another icon.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 04:54:38 pm »
Thanks for putting this up Sticks

We are a sad to hear it but we had him for a good while past what we thought we would
It was good get to talk with him on his last birthday
Praying for Jeanie , MA as we called her,
one of his granddaughters contacted me looking for one of the shirts that David Carrigan did with him on it
maybe we should get him to do more maybe raise a few dollars for Jean as we honor his legacy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 03:53:49 am »
Thoughts and Prayers for the Family. I was truly Blessed to know Norm for many Years. A true Icon to the Sport - RIP Norm. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 09:22:47 am »
Did he have a video out on string making? If so, it was the one I bought to learn how to make strings back in the 80s. The video I used covered endless loop and Flemish string making as well as a few other things. It was crudely produced by today's standards but contained a wealth of knowledge. I still use the string making board I made from the plans that were in the video.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 12:29:02 pm »
I believe the only video he put out was for flintknapping
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 12:35:53 am »
I did not know Norm. For those of you that did. Prayers for your sadness. Remember him with laughter.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 12:48:46 am »
I, too did not know Norm, I must echo Ben's sympathies!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry