Author Topic: Removing bark from winter osage  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Removing bark from winter osage
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 11:22:34 am »
I would leave the bark on for a year. Then take it off. But I use a band saw.seal the ends good. If your going to build bows  then put the effort in for two years worth . Then harvest  enough for one year every year.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Will B

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 12:24:21 pm »
Very nice haul Bentstick. Look forward to seeing what you make from those staves.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 09:20:12 pm »
I have some 2 year old staves to play with for now. My intent for these is to hopefully get the bark and sapwood off while they’re still green, seal the backs, and store for future use. Just trying to think ahead and put up some inventory while I’m still physically able.

GlisGlis,  I took a couple of my better bows down to show the landowners the finished product, and I think they were totally amazed. I don’t think either husband or wife would shoot, but they’ve got a young adopted son that I was thinking I might build a youth bow and set of arrows for as a surprise gift. I think they would really appreciate that. They have already said I could come cut all the Osage I want.

Arvin, I’ve always just sealed the ends, left the bark on the backs, and let the dry and age that way. But I end up storing a lot of staves that when I do go to work on, I find hidden flaws underneath. Everyone says it’s easier to remove when still green so I’m going to give it a try and weed out any undesirable staves now.

Offline M2A

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 09:21:43 am »
Man, that looks like an awesome haul of staves! Congrats. Maybe this will be helpful maybe not. When I get into a bind with time or am just plain tuckered and beat up from splitting, hauling, debarking.... I settle into the mind set of, if I can remove the bark, sapwood and seal just one stave a day or every other day. Before long things get done and its not as big of a project at one time. Mike     

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 09:36:56 am »
Man, that looks like an awesome haul of staves! Congrats. Maybe this will be helpful maybe not. When I get into a bind with time or am just plain tuckered and beat up from splitting, hauling, debarking.... I settle into the mind set of, if I can remove the bark, sapwood and seal just one stave a day or every other day. Before long things get done and its not as big of a project at one time. Mike     

That’s what I like to do too.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 10:14:58 am »
I'm 74. At the rate I  make bows now, I look at your haul and think, I've got all the bows I need. I'm glad I'm not facing that pile of work!

I haven't counted, but I must have at least a dozen bows ranging from 25 to 50 pound pull. Every twice in a seldom I teach somebody how to make a bow. But the fever to make one after the other has cooled.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 11:59:31 am »
That’s my plan guys. 1 at a time as the body allows lol. I’m only 68, but the body ain’t what it used to be.
I just took a break to build a storage rack in the basement so I can quick leaning them up in a corner. It gave me an easy project, while my muscles recuperated for the cutting, splitting and hauling.

Jim, I’m hoping this will be the last time I have to go through this stage. Being a hobbyist bowyer, I might make 2 or 3 a winter after hunting season, so I was just wanting to put up enough for any future use I may have to pass the cold winter months.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 12:22:15 pm »
Good plan.

And years later when you really don’t feel like debarking and reducing those rock hard staves you will be very happy there a few there that already have all that work done already.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise