Author Topic: My stone points aren't sharp!  (Read 2577 times)

Offline paulc

My stone points aren't sharp!
« on: February 11, 2023, 01:26:38 pm »
I've actually made a couple stone points that are actually close to looking like arrowheads but when I run the edge across my palm it doesn't do much more than tickle....can someone talk thru your steps, once the point is the shape and size you want how do you get the edge sharp enough?

Points are a mix of flint ridge from Roy Miller, Keokuk, and rainy buttes material....

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:42:21 pm by paulc »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: My stone points aren't sharp!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 02:33:56 pm »
Bevel the edge.
Once that's done (it may take a few days to learn how to do this), turn the piece over and create a bevel half way down the first bevel.
That's it.

You can get fancier, but not as a beginner. Beginners cannot do "fancy" stuff.  :)

(Edit: the first bevel sometimes leaves the edge plenty sharp, so you can probably skip the second bevelling on the other side).

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 04:29:00 pm »
I find I can’t sharpen a sharp preform. It will crush. When I started figuring out how to get them really sharp I realized I had to dull that edge a bit and have a good strong grip for my pressure flaker that wouldn’t crush. Then give it some good inward pressure and peal that flake off.

I’m sure there are much sharper points than mine, but I found that to really help. Before my edge crushed. Or I was afraid I would snap my point so I didn’t get a nice flake.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 07:12:07 pm »
JC, I swear that's what I'm doing...and like Brian says my edges often crumble. My wife has some cowhide, I wonder if I ought to try shooting a scrap...this is at least the second or third time I've gotten close to a real point only to have them too dull. I can poke my hand all day long w my current points and nothing happens :-(

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 12:25:59 am »
for me, sharpening is just as hard as making the point. I rely heavily on my serrations when I sharpen. even then It doesn't come out as sharp as i would like.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 09:42:59 am »
First of all....DO NOT TEST THE POINTS ON YOURSELF!!!!

Second, the best way to learn to sharpen them is to sit down with someone who has some experience knapping. Where are you located? I may be able to point you in the direction of some great knappers. Especially if your in the Puget Sound region.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill