Author Topic: Hit the ERC mother load  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Hit the ERC mother load
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 06:23:29 pm »
Wow, really beautiful!  Never seen it so nice.
1’—>1’

Offline M2A

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 08:19:40 am »
Thats an awesome score. Can smell it from here.
Mike

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 08:39:47 am »
Did those split out like that.  They look split and not cut, but after trying to split the only juniper log I ever tried to turn into staves, I’m finding it hard to believe that those split that beautifully.
The first pic is how they split in the field.  The pics in my shop are after I reduced them to bow size using a combination of splitting and bandsaw cuts.

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 11:34:17 am »
Beautiful staves. However I don't think there is a more difficult and temperamental wood to make a bow from. UNLESS...you back it. Then it's game on. Hickory, bamboo, and sinew are popular backings for ERC.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bassman211

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 04:19:36 pm »
Pearly's favorite wood.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2023, 10:40:06 pm »
awesome job... I have a log that will yield about the same, but they are few and far between.  I will be watching for sure.  I had planned to use just the sapwood for bows, and sinew backed at that... I love the heartwood, but haven't had any luck with it, even when backed.  I'm watching and learning...thanks.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2023, 10:47:21 am »
awesome job... I have a log that will yield about the same, but they are few and far between.  I will be watching for sure.  I had planned to use just the sapwood for bows, and sinew backed at that... I love the heartwood, but haven't had any luck with it, even when backed.  I'm watching and learning...thanks.
If you have a cut log now, I recommend you split and debark it right away.  Bugs like to get under the bark.  It’ll dry pretty quickly, so seal the ends.