Author Topic: Green Briar Root Tubers  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Green Briar Root Tubers
« on: February 17, 2023, 03:51:54 pm »
My house was built on a spot where patch of woods had just been cleared, I have fought a battle with the green briar coming up in my flower beds since I moved here. Poisons only kill a small portion of the vines that are above ground, yesterday I started digging down from the sprouts to try to dig up the root systems and found they have a potato like tuber under the ground that acts like a mother ship for future sprouts.

I have never seen a reference to anyone eating these tubers but in a food crunch (that may be coming) these could be a starch rich source of food.

My land is covered up with green briars, no telling how many tubers there are in an acre.

Anybody know if these tubers have any food value or are safe to eat? some of them are quite large, like your fist.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Green Briar Root Tubers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 04:12:15 pm »
I found the answer to my own question, they are edible.

https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/greenbrier/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 05:36:30 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Piddler

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 10:42:49 pm »
I have too much anger towards greenbriars to eat them. Definitely not a harsh enough end.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 07:12:41 am »
Never ate the tubers, but the tender young ends on them are delicious.  Kind of like asparagus.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 09:49:37 pm »
Eric I've been fighting them also since moving to SC. The best way I've find so far is to run my tractor and tiller over them and then replant the grass after I drag it smooth.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 08:59:19 am »
My problem places are next to my house in my flower beds which have extensive landscaping, I have to use manual methods to dig them up.