Author Topic: Arrows for Elg Bue and quiver  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Arrows for Elg Bue and quiver
« on: March 13, 2023, 01:45:09 pm »
A year or 2 ago Roy(Roy from PA on TradGang) sent me a set of 6 Sitka spruce shafts in the 40 to 45# range. After finishing up Elg Bue I thought about a set of arrows specifically for her and when I went looking I found the 6 Roy sent me and they are just about right for Elg Bue.
 The lase few years I have preferred making self nocks in the arrows I make and here is how I do it...

I start by making a single bandsaw cut, across the grain of the shaft...

then with a thin bladed knife I open the slots a little bit...

then with sandpaper(this is 80 grit) I open them a little more and shape them. I still have more opening and shaping to do a little later by folding the sandpaper over and over until I get the nock width that fits the serving on the string. BTW, I like my nocks to fit loosely on the string

I decided to go ahead and add the crown color, the same as on Elg Bue and will fletch with turkey primary feathers.

As I continue I'll post more pics.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 04:22:55 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Arrows for Elg Bue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 05:22:15 pm »
There looking good

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 08:05:18 pm »
There is nothing like a new set of arrows. Enjoy and hope they shoot perfectly. leave them long and you can always shorten for stiffer spine if they don't fly perfect.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 11:39:12 am »
I added a red crest on either end of the crown color. Then rubbed down all the shafts with 0000 steel wool and eyeballed their straightness. A little hand straightening was needed as expected.

These are the tools of the trade. I made up the tile saw with a handle for ease of use.

With the sandpaper and tile saw I continued the work on the self nocks. I work the self nocks until they fit my string.  Make sure all sharp edges are rounded and especially either side of the nock throat. I relieve that with the tile saw so as the bow is drawn the string has a smooth nock edge.

Then it's time for the sinew wrap at the nocks for support to keep the nock from splitting.

Once the sinew dries I'll seal it with TBIII then when that dries it will be time to seal the shafts before fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 05:35:22 pm »
Looking good Pat, I love self necks and hardly ever use the glue on kind. They will look good all fletched up. Oh I saw your note on the work bench, thanks a million.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 06:28:21 pm »
Thanks, Kenneth.
 I put the note there to help me remember. I think I've found the hickory and it's right out back for ease of harvest.  :OK

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 04:58:15 pm »
I got the arrows fletched up today with fletch tape and sinew wraps, fore and aft...

I haven't cut them to size and installed the field points yet. I did use my Young feather burner to shape the fletching.

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 07:50:07 pm »
 Nice job Pat, good looking arrows,  nce looking scenery out the window also. Have you shot them, if so how do they fly? Have a good one brother. I guess you will. Be taking them to Pappys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 11:02:04 pm »
Haven't shot them yet, Kenneth. Maybe tomorrow I can get then cut, tapered and points added. I'll post the results.
Yes, they will be going to Pappy's.  :OK

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 03:11:12 pm »
Keep them out of the rocks.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 12:31:51 am »
I am going to copy your method of smoothing out the nocks. Like that saw.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 09:44:15 am »
Pat what kind of points are you putting on them?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 12:23:09 pm »
Mark, the saw was made from a tile cutting blade that I attached to the handle. I think it is supposed to he attached to a hack saw handle.
 Rob, I have 6, 125gr field points. I tapered the shafts yesterday and will probably put the points on today.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 07:03:17 pm »
Nice arrows Pat

Always nice to have a set that match up with a bow

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 10:45:17 pm »
Yeah it is, Brian and these arrows shoot quite well from Elg Bue. Shot about 5 rounds with them today.   :OK