Author Topic: Keeping field points on?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
Keeping field points on?
« on: March 15, 2023, 12:33:42 am »
Hey there.

Looking for some help.  I have never been able to get steel glue on points to stay well on my arrow shafting, they always come off.  Tried cleaning the heads with acetone and grinding with a brush.  Tried all types of adhesives from melt on to epoxy but nothing seems to work great with the steel points.
Being said.  I have been able to get the glue on brass points to stick well, so thinking it is something to do with the steel field points.

So question is what what are you guys using?  Open to suggestions!

Thanks
Jamie
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Little John

Re: Keeping field points on?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 01:23:55 am »
I use Ferrell tite and ha e never had any problem. Get it from archery supellier ike three rivers.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 06:46:04 am »
I use acetone on a q-tip to clean the inside of the point thoroughly.   That seemed to help mine stay on better.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 08:30:26 am »
I use pine pitch glue and never had a problem. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 09:37:30 am »
Take some 60-80 grit sandpaper and roll it into a cone shape. Stuff it in the point and twist it around until the inside shines. Glue them on with glue sticks of your choice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 01:26:22 am »
One trick I recently learned when heat melting that makes all the difference - get the point hot and the glue good and melted and then quench it some cold water. Made all the difference for me.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 12:39:29 pm »
Just like kidder, once I started heating the tip good and hot. To the point the hot melt starts to bubble. I haven’t had any problems with tips coming off.

Kyle

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 08:13:38 am »
I use steel field points with both cedar and bamboo shafts, and Araldite two-part epoxy adhesive to fix them.  Cleaning the pile out with sandpaper and then methylated spirit (a common UK solvent name, dunno what you call it in the US) gets it clean of any cutting compound used on the lathe to make them.  The real secret, as far as I’m concerned, is to then include a small groove along the shaft material that will eventually be inside the point. That is, when you have made the shaft to fit the point (taper or parallel fit), use a sharp knife point or similar to scribe a groove along the wood/bamboo from the front end to where the body of the point ends.  Then when you glue the point on, this groove allows trapped air and/or excess glue to escape as you push the shaft into the point. Wipe around the shaft/point joint, and job done.

One of the main reasons for points to come off when hitting something firm is that unless you do the above, the air bubble in the joint works like a spring, and pops the point off on impact. It works well for me.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719