Author Topic: Kansas City area free bow wood?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline TimBo

Kansas City area free bow wood?
« on: March 10, 2023, 02:00:25 pm »
If anyone is in the KC area (or South Dakota - JW?), you can go to Kansas City Craigslist and search for "free firewood for the taking".  It is actually closer to St. Joseph.  He needs some trees cleared, so it is a "you cut, you haul" deal...mostly black locust, hackberry, and something called "hedge"...whatever that is. 

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Kansas City area free bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 04:25:47 am »
Tim,
"Hedge" is most likely Osage Orange'.  But I haven't lived in Missouri for 50 years or more, mostly more!  The language seems to have changed (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 10:01:29 am »
I was talking to a friend about bow making years ago, he was from Springfield MO, I told him I made bows out of osage orange, he said "what's that". I explained the tree and the thorns, that it was used for fence rows before barbwire and was really tough stuff, "Oh "he said, "you mean hedge". Turns out for many mid-westerners osage has always been known as hedge.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 02:20:37 pm »
Oh, I am well aware that hedge = osage!  That was one more example of how my sense of humor doesn't always translate to the internet...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 06:48:36 pm »
If I told someone where I live that I used hedge for bow making they wouldn't have a clue what it was, actually, if I tell them I make bows out of oasge orange they wouldn't know what I was talking about either. I have to say" you know, those trees that drop grapefruit sized green balls under them in the fall", then some of them know what I am talking about but only people who lived in the country.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 10:11:29 am »
If ya really want to confuse some folks call it "bodark"...  ;)

Offline gifford

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 04:19:00 pm »
And don't forget "Horse Apple". :-)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 07:06:45 am »
I used to call them hedge apple but I've been on this site too long and now it is automatically Osage.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 09:44:58 pm »
Yep, I’m a born and raised Kansan and still have to catch myself and not call it hedge. It’s all I knew it by until my adult years.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 08:00:47 am »
I live in MIchigan and very few people other than bowyers have any idea what Hedge, Hedge Apple ,Osage, Osage Orange, Bodark or that tree that drops the grapefruit sized balls is.lol

But then very few people know what Hop Hornbeam is either

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman211

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 07:49:15 am »
What ever it is called in different parts of the country if you get hands on a straight clean piece it is gold for self bow making.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 11:27:01 pm »
I’ve tried contacting that Craigslist guy multiple times over the past few months. It’s only a 2 hour drive from me. He won’t return my messages. Hope someone else has better luck getting ahold of him than me!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 11:42:26 pm by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 06:25:44 pm »
Well, that's no good.  Sorry to post a dead end - it seemed like it might be useful for someone, but not if he isn't reachable.