Author Topic: Help with latest Osage bow. All prettied up.  (Read 2829 times)

Offline bentstick54

Help with latest Osage bow. All prettied up.
« on: March 20, 2023, 08:02:06 pm »
Ok here’s my latest venture. I started out with a pretty good dogleg on this one, with a minor twist on the opposite end. The dog leg also had a couple of small whoop dee dues in the last ten inches which I decided to leave. I got it straightened out to my satisfaction, let reactivate for a day and started in slowly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 05:54:13 pm by bentstick54 »

Offline bentstick54

Re: Help with latest Osage bow.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 08:15:18 pm »
I got it to full brace and am now at 45# @ 25” which will put me about 50/51# @ 28”. I want to finish up about 45# @ 28”. After have strung and working on for most the afternoon, after unstringing I have 1/2” of set starting at the #3 line and slowly run to to tip. The tip settles in about 1/2” below original starting point marked on the paper behind the bow on both limbs. I’m planning on the left limb being the lower limb. Widest part at the fades is 1-5/8” fairly even taper to 1/2” at the tips.
Where do I get my last 3” while keeping additional set to a minimum?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 08:25:48 pm »
it looks good,,just sand or lightly scrape evenly,, you got it,,

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 08:35:42 pm »
 Close up of the set at the tips. Do I try to gain from the inner 1/3 rods, or just keep taking long even strokes from full length of limbs?

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 08:37:21 pm »
Original profile is red line, approximately limb thickness, above the limb.

Online superdav95

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 09:57:16 pm »
It looks good.  I agree with brad.  Light scrapes from mid limb out towards the tips to reach your weight.  The left limb is slightly stiffer in mid limb but if this is the bottom limb I’d probably leave it.  The minimal set means your doing something right. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 10:04:14 pm »
It looks good.  I agree with brad.  Light scrapes from mid limb out towards the tips to reach your weight.  The left limb is slightly stiffer in mid limb but if this is the bottom limb I’d probably leave it.  The minimal set means your doing something right.

This is what I see to

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 10:23:16 pm »
Dave, that’s what I see too, but looking at the squares behind the bow they all look to cross the squares at the same points. That’s why I was looking for other opinions. Thanks everyone. I’ll be gone tomorrow so will get back to work on it hopefully on Wednsday with any luck. Will post updates afterwards.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 10:02:03 pm »
Looking great
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 07:27:15 am »
That is looking really good to my eyes. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 09:31:01 am »
Generally tiller looks good. Looks like near handle wood needs to bend more. I mark a nice black pencil line where I want the bending to start (end of fades) then I make sure it starts there.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 12:59:38 pm »
Dave, that’s what I see too, but looking at the squares behind the bow they all look to cross the squares at the same points. That’s why I was looking for other opinions. Thanks everyone. I’ll be gone tomorrow so will get back to work on it hopefully on Wednsday with any luck. Will post updates afterwards.

My first thought was left limb seems a little stiff mid limb. That’s what my eye sees.

Then I looked at your marks and it seems pretty good going by them. Maybe it’s an optical illusion.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline airkah

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 02:40:26 pm »

My first thought was left limb seems a little stiff mid limb. That’s what my eye sees.

I see it this way too even looking at the lines.

What my eyes see that may be totally wrong: Left limb bends more from fade to line 1 than right side. And then the right limb catches up by bending more between lines 2 and 4. I think the tiller pic is a little off horizontal too. When I straightened it to my eye, limb tips are at a different angle from eachother.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 08:13:52 pm »
Ok, so today I tried to get a little more bend mid limb on bottom limb, then took long even strokes off both limbs to get the weight down where I want at my 28” draw. Right now it’s at 46-1/2# @ 28”. I still need to final sand the belly and edges so hoping to lose another 1# in the process. Shot about 30 arrows through it and it handles good, feels good at release, and is as quiet as any I’ve built so far. I plan on shooting it for a few days to make sure nothing changes, then will start the finishing process.

Online superdav95

Re: Help with latest Osage bow. Full draw added
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 11:59:20 pm »
Looks really good.  Nicely done
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com