Author Topic: Question on splitting Osage?  (Read 590 times)

Online bentstick54

Question on splitting Osage?
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:43:26 pm »
I’ve tried it several ways, but for you guys that have split a lot more Osage than me tell me how you prefer where to split around limbs and visible knot.

If you have 10” diameter tree that you can get a 7ft trunk, with straight bark pattern, and about mid section there is a 1/2” to 1-1/2” limb coming out on 1 side, do you try to split it through the limb/knot? Or up the edge of the limb knot, or try to split it 90 degrees to the limb?  Which do you think will you would get the most and best staves out of?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Question on splitting Osage?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 07:52:50 am »
I try and let it follow around the limb/knot. Most time it dose , but sometimes it don't. Picture would help. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online bentstick54

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 09:07:16 am »
Pappy, I don’t currently have any cut, as I recently got what I had all split. I just always look at a log, then debate the best way to split it to get the best quality of staves out of it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 11:54:16 am »
I agree with Pappy.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 04:00:14 pm »
Splitting around knots can be a pain.  Once you get started the split will go where it wants to.  It's hard to correct it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left