Author Topic: Recurving osage questions  (Read 2203 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Recurving osage questions
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 10:03:50 am »
This is another option I have thought about trying but never got around to it yet.

If you can see the limb recurve, tip, mechanical advantage and string.

My drafting skills are a little crude but maybe you can get the jest of it

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 12:02:17 pm »
Another option is to kerf the limb so you are bending 3 thin pieces of wood instead of one thick one. Cut a slice separating back from belly and cut a shim to fill in the material removed. Slip the shin in and heat bend it all in one go. Once it sets pull the shim, apply a healthy coat of glue and reinsert. Then back in the form so it’ll be sure to set into position.if the layers are thin enough you could probably get away with not even heating it and let the glue hold it in place.

Kyle

Kyle, that's absolutely brilliant. I'll give that a go on a test piece.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 12:12:35 pm »
If you want a very dramatic bend on any wood bow one option would be to add a saiyah (sp) to each limb tip like on an Asiatic horn bow.

My first thought was this. Sounds like you are working on it and have lots of good advice already. Look forward to seeing what you are up to sleek.

Bjrogg

Thanks Bj. As usual, I am up to some something. I'm trying to break records employing unusual methods.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Online superdav95

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 12:27:09 pm »
I just finished up a bow with a tip similar to this.  See if this helps.  These are just steam bent hickory but it could be more extreme depending on your radius.  The last 2 pics are of a v notch style tip siyah I mentioned earlier. The last pic is before glue up of belly boo lam was done.   Have a look see if it helps your decision.  Best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 06:23:14 pm »
Many years ago Brad Merkel (Littletree) used boiling water to make radical (120° ) recurve bends in his bow tips. These extreme bends usually cause a splinter to lift on the belly but he did them while he still had wood to spare on the tips.  A metal strap would help prevent that as well.  Barefoot Tom has one of the last bows that Brad made.  The short bends were so curved that he would hang his strung bow by the tip.  They looked something like this...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 10:13:17 pm by Bob Barnes »
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2023, 02:06:24 pm »
Cool bends but wasted mass. Just an opinion.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2023, 11:23:09 pm »
Many years ago Brad Merkel (Littletree) used boiling water to make radical (120° ) recurve bends in his bow tips. These extreme bends usually cause a splinter to lift on the belly but he did them while he still had wood to spare on the tips.  A metal strap would help prevent that as well.  Barefoot Tom has one of the last bows that Brad made.  The short bends were so curved that he would hang his strung bow by the tip.  They looked something like this...

Wow!  That is seriously extreme!  I’m not sure what mechanical advantage it offers, …but DANG!

OneBow

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2023, 11:40:09 pm »
The OP asked for a radical bend...he didn't ask about the non working mass.  Brad's bows were cool and being able to hang your string bow was an added bit of fun.  It may have cost some speed, but they were fast enough and shot well.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...