Author Topic: Only took him 85 years!  (Read 5006 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Only took him 85 years!
« on: April 20, 2023, 11:20:48 pm »
Yea...I know!  There is nothing primitive about this hunt other than the fact that my first wingbone call was the final straw that broke this bird's will...BUT...
My dad, who just never turkey hunted until I started taking him a few years ago, got to see a great show before dropping the hammer on his first turkey at the tender age of 85.  We've been trying hard each spring since 2020 to get him on a bird when I return to SC for my annual spring turkey, morel, and ramp trip. He is a trooper, and moving about in the woods has been increasingly difficult for him, so we decided to limit our efforts to easier to access field edges (hate hunting field birds) and it payed off.  Nothing primitive here, but I just have to brag on my hero...and pics of tasty critters is never a bad thing!

;

Offline PaSteve

Re: Only took him 85 years!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 10:07:16 am »
That is an awesome story. Congratulations to you and especially your father.What a great way to spend a morning with your pop.
    I know what you mean about those field turkeys... I'll take hunting the deep woods over fields for spring gobblers any day of the week. Hope you get a chance to enjoy a morel and wild turkey dinner together.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 03:07:02 pm »
Sweet.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 12:46:50 pm »
Nothing better than that. Congrats to you both.

My dad and I enjoyed many weeks of turkey hunting together over the years. Cherished memories for me. Dad is still kicking hard, but doesn't hunt anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 08:56:23 am »
Congratulations to you and your Dad on a great hunt and a great bird. Memories you will cherish forever. Those SC birds kicked my butt this year, first year I didn't use a tag.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 01:09:34 pm »
Thanks fellas.  Yes, SC birds are a particular kind of difficult PITA.