Author Topic: Leatherwork on Handles  (Read 2057 times)

Offline simk

Leatherwork on Handles
« on: April 27, 2023, 03:30:06 pm »
Today was a good day - finally did something I was planning to do for years...improving my leatherwork.

So my friend the shoemaker visited me and we together refurbished 3 old bows - provided them simple and basic leather grips. It's not complicated, few simple tools and only a little knowhow. It's the small things, like preparing an edge, that finally make the difference. I'm totally happy with the results and I'm looking forward to lesson 2.

cheers 
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Leatherwork on Handles
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 04:55:53 pm »
Nice leatherwork. Just beveling the outside edges makes a big difference in appearance and comfort.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 06:37:46 pm »
Very nice.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:27:30 pm »
Definitely adds to the aesthetics of a well crafted bow. They look great.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 03:15:19 pm »
Let's see the tools.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 09:43:46 pm »
Those are smart looking handles.  Nice stitching. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 03:46:26 am »
Crisp and clean workmanship. Highly professional.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 04:28:47 am »
It's not complicated, few simple tools and only a little knowhow. It's the small things, like preparing an edge, that finally make the difference.

Simple yet professional. They look great  :OK

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 12:32:14 pm »
thanks - I really like it too. what a little more effort and knowhow can do.... ;D

of course the tools  Jim!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:23:43 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2023, 12:33:21 pm »
will add more comments later...
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Kidder

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 03:22:29 pm »
Beautiful work Simon. So I usually do pistol grip bows and end up having to wet fit the leather and then trim when it’s on the bow. Is there a way to do this and still prep the edges like you have?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:12:26 pm by Kidder »

Offline superdav95

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 03:52:14 pm »
Ya his edges look nice.  He’s using thicker leather here on some of these it looks like.  Simon are you burnishing your edges with a wood taper and or burnishing tool?  On my knife sheathes the edging and burnishing I do is with a little water and my wood taper and it gets shiny and smooth.  I think it brings out the oils to surface and polishes it.  I wonder if that is what he’s doing here.  Simon, your Dubins grease looks different then mine.  Mine is a white clear stuff.  It works great but wonder if your stuff works better for the edges.  Are you using it on the edges too.  Let us know.  Thanks. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline simk

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 05:48:10 am »
a little basic information about the tools and what I was teached:

The little tool with the antler grip was intersting - it allows you to precisly cut/bevel the edges.
Then the wheelie-tool is interesting to quickly and precisly mark the stitching holes.
The spoon and the little hammer can be used for final treatment of the edges and forming/flattening of the stitched seam.
A little fat on the edges (but not on the grip!) helps. Goal is to artifificially season the edges of the leather by burnishing it, make it look like it was touched a 1000times.
My friend had a thin rounded piece of bone to burniush the leather - I tried to replace that with the spoon. A piece of polished hardwood certainly also works fine!

Kidder: have you tried PatB's method, namely taking a 3d imprint of your handle with masking tape? Further: You should cut your leather piece a little short, then soak it in water for 30minutes and then apply. It will stretch when wet and tighten again when drying on the bow. That's how you should get a proper fit even on a pistol grip. Leather seems to be a pretty versatile matierial.....

cheers
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 05:58:59 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline ajooter

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 11:54:28 am »
Very nice.  Those leather handles look great!

Offline red hill

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2023, 08:28:32 pm »
Very nice.