Author Topic: Popcorn tree or Chinese tallow tree  (Read 588 times)

Offline somedude

Popcorn tree or Chinese tallow tree
« on: April 28, 2023, 12:11:21 pm »
I have a lot of these trees and I wonder would they be a decent wood too. Are a bow from?  I have many that I have cut and it would be a waste to burn them if them could be used for bows.  Anyone have any experience with them for a bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Popcorn tree or Chinese tallow tree
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 04:10:23 pm »
There were plenty of them around when I lived in Savannah but I never built a bow from them. Not really knowing but my guess is the wood is too light to use for bows. You could try one. If it works you'll have a good supply of bow wood. If not, you not lost much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

Re: Popcorn tree or Chinese tallow tree
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 09:04:05 pm »
 I have several of these trees on my property, and many grow in the area. I haven't made of bow from  C Tallow wood. I have used the wood to make some small bowls. It works easily. Its a whitewood so it stains grey when not dried appropriately, and rots quickly too.

I wouldn't have thought it to be a good candidate for bows, it never grows really large, or has long trunks, before the canopy grows. Branches seem very brittle.

If you get a suitable stave out of what you have available, then I would go for a classic whitewood design to maximise your chance of success ie 2" wide limbs, flatbow