Author Topic: ............this is off topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,hey, I want to be back here  (Read 3423 times)

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
........hey, guess my last post is a while back.............but since spring 2020 my wife and me are retired and have moved from Germany to the Portuguese mountains and we live now in an old Portugeuse farm admidst a lot of olive trees, chestnuts, strawberry-trees, it is a quite rural area.....a paradise................to clear the land and renovate the place took us almost 3 years.............but I never gave up bowery, did some bow-classes here and we've a regular archery- meeting on Sundays.............
Have also done some bows of the native woods and it turned out that olive is by far the best bow-wood I've ever come across, chestnut is very impressive too.............even the small branches of olive deliver a fantastic arrow-wood..
.....will post about olive- bows and arrows soon...........have still to unbox a lot of my flight- bows and arrows......have to get more familiar with my new workshop too
Great to see you guys still trying to make the arrows fly as far as possible.......!!!!
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Sounds idyllic. I'll be watching this space.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Good to hear from you.  Sounds like a beautiful place.  Looking forward to hearing about olive wood bows.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
.....yes, it is paradise...........
Olive is amazing, usually you don't have access to it, cause you want the olives and the oil and it would be a kind of sacrilege to cut it for a bow, it is even forbidden to deal with it. But in 2017 here the biggest wildfire ever happened in Europe with almost 300 people dying. The old olives didn't burn to much, but enough for the main- trunks to no more deliver fruits........so I could collect about 3cubic meters olive-wood. Anyway the fire- damage the old trees have begun to grow again from the ground and are again delivering olives. I've done a long bow of it, which is from the beginning on my absolute favourite. First olive-flight is in the making.............if you choose it well, I'm pretty sure it will never break. Cause of its density( about 20 growthrings per cm) you are able to go for extremely narrow and thin designs, which is necessary cause of its heavy weigtht.
I also have access to chestnut, the thickest brooms I've ever seen, walnut, ash, some maples, juniper and all the citrus- trees..................strawberry- tree I havenī t tried, but it is a super nice wood and the berries deliver the local local hard liquor.
Has anyone exprience with persimon(diospyros)? And as an invasive plague we have a lot of eucalyptus........Portugal is producing the toilet-paper for the world.
Cause of the wildfire-risk we`ve had to clean the land around the farm very heavily...........and we still have a forest of about 1 hectare, where we rarely haven't been, it is full of wild boars, deers, foxes, and for sure snakes, lizards, spiders and a lot of hawks.............the region is called "Serra do Acor", which means hawk-mountains.........reminds me lot to the northern parts of California.
Guess next week I will be ready for to post some details and pics about my olive bows and arrows.
..........the way of underdoing.............