Author Topic: Wood Shavings  (Read 1253 times)

Offline superdav95

Wood Shavings
« on: May 30, 2023, 07:25:12 pm »
Hey guys.  Been making a mess in the shop.  Who am I kidding my shop is never not a mess.  Been roughing out these hickory bows last couple days and just got them on the forms to dry up a bit in the sun.  2 of these will be for the bow trade this year.  I’ll keep them in these forms for a week or so before I heat treat them.  Cheers

Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Wood Shavings
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 07:57:08 pm »
All you need now is a good ham to smoke with all those hickory chips!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 11:22:07 pm »
Excellent. That seems like a hint to fire up the bow trade…ok ok we can do that!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 11:45:29 pm »
All you need now is a good ham to smoke with all those hickory chips!

Yes they will be good for the smoker.  At least the smaller bits. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 11:03:05 am »
Yep, I use those hickory shavings in the smoker and on the grill, too.  That'll come in handy for all the game you're going to take with those nice looking bows!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 02:33:10 pm »
Yep, I use those hickory shavings in the smoker and on the grill, too.  That'll come in handy for all the game you're going to take with those nice looking bows!

Thanks WB!  I sure hope so. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 03:46:05 pm »
Here’s a short video clip of my heat treat cook set up. I made it wide enough to accommodate 4 forms at once.  I didn’t have enough hardwood this time around so I used 2 bags kingsford brickets to get me a few hours of heat.   It’s hot here right now so this worked out well today.  Hardwood lasts little longer for those cooler temps.  Anyway there are many ways to do this heat treatment stuff.  Hopefully this helps someone out there wanting to do their own heat treatment set up. 

Video clip

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bQKXxNoREhdQDYPF7
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 04:18:12 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Thorsten

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 04:31:04 am »
Very impressive - four in a row!
How can you jugde the heat intensity with this broad/wide coalbed? Do you messure?

I enjoyed watching the video!

Thanks for sharing

Thorsten

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 10:48:58 am »
Very impressive - four in a row!
How can you jugde the heat intensity with this broad/wide coalbed? Do you messure?

I enjoyed watching the video!

Thanks for sharing

Thorsten

I’m glad you got something out of it.  Ya the heat regulation is done by lowering and raising using bricks to get the slow cook you want.  Too fast is just gonna scorch it and give a surface treatment.  I use my hand as the guage for heat.  I put it at the level of the bow and if I can hold it there for only 2-3secs only then I know it’s got good enough heat.  If too hot for me to even hold my hand under the bow then I raise with bricks.  Hope that makes sense.  Usually in this hot weather 2-3 hours is plenty.  Constantly checking for Color is a great way to visually see the change.  Color changes should take an hour or more to see.  Too quick is not ideal.    Cheers.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 12:20:36 pm »
Well, whoever gets a SuperDav bow is gonna be 1 lucky bugger!

It’ll be thoughtfully built/well-designed, well-tillered, and finished superbly.

As a steady, near-daily lurker on PA.com (and likely bow-poster, sadly, if I could ever figure out the pic posting), it is my sincere opinion that SuperDav is quite likely the most accomplished newer bowyer over the last few years. Every bow I’ve seen of his looks like the work of a 30-year pro’s pro...but one who not only kicks out shooters, but brilliant shooters, shooters that consistently push the design & performance envelope!

I know I haven’t been at this hobby/pastime/healthy-ish addiction for more than a few years, but, as Badger has said, with the steady gains in primitive bowyering, and the almost unrivaled sense of comraderie and free information exchange, we the fortunate newer generation can basically bypass a decade or 2 of trial & error - because those before us already did it for us! - and quickly get to creating exciting bows. I always feel that the earlier bowyers just keep giving and maybe not receiving as much as they should, or deserve...but then guys like SuperDav appear, and I can only think that their contributions are appreciated even more by the guys who paved our way, being that his & our bows are creations built on the foundation set before us.

Lastly, as a quick aside, I just recently got an Osage flatbow to hold 2.75” of reflex (started with 4”). Chrono numbers are in the 175-180 range at 10GPP. I look at the gorgeous thing hanging on my wall, with its narrow limbs, its tight, flat profile, & two needlish-like lightly flipped tips...and I am in awe. I shouldn’t have been able to do that. Not for another 10 years or so. But then I didn’t build it, not by myself, not really; I gots about 60 expert bowyer mentors to call upon all throughout each build; they’re but a quick pa.com search away.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 12:47:57 pm »
Thankyou Timmy!  Very nice compliment indeed.  You are absolutely correct about the earlier Boyers paving the way for us newer on the scene.  I recall not that long ago asking for help and seeking advise and getting tons of info that helped a lot.  I would name those individuals here but fear I would leave someone out as there have been many willing to help and guide. You know who you are.  Thank you.   Suffice it to say there is no shortage of info and expertise here.  I aspire to be like them and share freely also.  I too believe it’s what keeps this community kicking.   Timmy, congrats on your Osage bow!  Sounds like you nailed it and got yourself a real shooter.  If you figure out the pic posting we love to see it!   Again thanks and reach out anytime if there is anything I can help ya with.  Cheers. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 03:14:33 pm »
  Great idea!