Author Topic: hickory in high humidity  (Read 2412 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: hickory in high humidity
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2023, 12:46:38 pm »
Interesting.  That's part of what draws me to juniper--it is so resinous it wouldn't be affected by moisture, but the sinew backing would be.  I think that's one of the reasons people in humid climates (like Ryan Gill, who backs almost all of his bows) tend to back their sinew with snakeskin.  I like the idea of just hanging the bow up in the lodge smoke every night, and I suspect that's what the Natives did...but Mrs. Badger won't let me build a fire in the tent.   ???

Home improvement projects are seriously cutting into my bowyery this summer, but if I ever get around to building a chokecherry bow, I'd like to back it with dogbane fibers and add some tannins to the hide glue to make it more water resistant...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2023, 07:58:10 pm »
Hope you get a chance to try the cherry with dogbane backing.  I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 08:40:23 pm »
Work carefully with with wild choke cherry. It can be a dangerous explosive wood. It is smart to back it with something. Natives backed it with sinew. Not my favorite bow wood, but it is excellent for arrow shafts. I had one let go after about 300 arrows give, or take. The top limb shattered, and hit my glasses breaking them  in two, and bruised my right eye. It was a self bow.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 10:13:56 pm »
Work carefully with with wild choke cherry. It can be a dangerous explosive wood. It is smart to back it with something. Natives backed it with sinew. Not my favorite bow wood, but it is excellent for arrow shafts. I had one let go after about 300 arrows give, or take. The top limb shattered, and hit my glasses breaking them  in two, and bruised my right eye. It was a self bow.
Yeah, I wouldn't do a chokecherry selfbow--I've heard too many stories like that.  But I've heard it's a snappy wood if you back it.  I plan to use either dogbane fiber or rawhide.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 01:22:18 am »
I’m in southeast Nebraska. The humidity here is already pretty extreme and gets worse in July/August. Expect to lose a little cast with hickory. I fire harden hickory bows halfway through the limbs and seal them up real good. Takes several days for it to soak up humidity that way.

If they feel a little soggy I’ll rotate them by hand over a bed of coals until hot to the touch. Nothing crazy and not enough to pull out heat corrections. A pvc tube filled with rice sounds like an excellent idea.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 11:05:53 am »
I got a bunch of silica desiccant packs.  I plan to put three or four of them in the storage tube and "recharge" them in a microwave every couple days.  Should help.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 02:37:31 pm »
I got a bunch of silica desiccant packs.  I plan to put three or four of them in the storage tube and "recharge" them in a microwave every couple days.  Should help.

Another great idea.  Let us know if the microwave idea works. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2023, 05:29:08 pm »

Another great idea.  Let us know if the microwave idea works.

The silica packs say that microwaving 7 minutes on defrost recharges them.  So...we'll see.  Off to heat gun some waterproofing into my bows.  Wish me luck, and thanks for the ideas, everybody.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2023, 08:54:49 pm »
So, are all white woods affected thus by moisture, or is hickory unique?  I'm thinking of making a chokecherry bow eventually, and I'm also interested in trying birch and ash.  (that's about it for local bow woods)

I had a green ash bow with about a dozen coats of TruOil drop from 43 lbs to 30 lbs and took 5 inches of temporary set when I went to a high humidity event. It recovered after a few weeks when I returned home. Just remember that it is temporary.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2023, 10:19:39 pm »
So, are all white woods affected thus by moisture, or is hickory unique?  I'm thinking of making a chokecherry bow eventually, and I'm also interested in trying birch and ash.  (that's about it for local bow woods)

I had a green ash bow with about a dozen coats of TruOil drop from 43 lbs to 30 lbs and took 5 inches of temporary set when I went to a high humidity event. It recovered after a few weeks when I returned home. Just remember that it is temporary.

Same thing happened to my hickory pyramid bow when I hunted in the rain last fall.  It took about an inch and a half of set, which it mostly (but not completely) lost when it dried out.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour