Author Topic: Reducing sapwood - any tips?  (Read 702 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Reducing sapwood - any tips?
« on: May 30, 2023, 06:38:50 am »
chasing rings in yew seems to take forever.  I have a stave with 1/2 inch thick sapwood which I want to take to 1/4”.  I have roughed it down with a draw knife and have started cleaning up the back with knife and scraper. Boy is it a test of patience.  Good weather, jug of coffee decent radio, all help the time go by, but any other tips on speeding the process up?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Reducing sapwood - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 08:55:50 am »
Yew is one wood that you don't have to have a clean back sapwood ring. I think if you make the sapwood consistent thickness of about 1/4" or a little less you should be ok but let others more familiar with yew chime in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 02:34:17 am »
What Pat said...
If you want to spend time and effort making it look pretty, do it by degrees as the bow progresses towards being finished. Don't clean up a whole stave!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 07:17:35 am »
I like them to be one ring if at all possible. It takes time and that's ok with me. I'm in no hurry and I enjoy working that buttery yew wood. I don't have any real secrets to speed it up for ya. Like Del said, I do it after the stave is reduced in width, albeit it usually a bit oversized.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer