Author Topic: Tiny crack on pin knot  (Read 4866 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Tiny crack on pin knot
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 12:27:43 pm »
Based on the multitude of experts chiming in here the answer is probably “it depends” and “your mileage may vary”. IMO, with bow making there is always some risk with a material like wood. If it helps you feel better about the bow and shooting it, then secure the crack with a backing or wrap. If you don’t care and feel comfortable accepting some level of risk of breakage then don’t bother. It’s never 0% risk. Just how much risk you’re willing to accept.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 01:36:04 pm »
True Ryan. Yes fox I’m Arvin.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 06:47:12 pm »
Arvin, I put a drop of super glue on any pins, back or belly just in case. It only takes a minute or 2 and doesn't cost much so why not. I do the same with most knots. And, if you are feeling really creative you can do this...

This was a bow at the Classic on the table of the stave salesman, Jim from Oklahoma.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 07:25:26 pm »
Awesome work, Pat.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2023, 12:50:08 am »
Love it Pat. Very creative. I agree. A drop or 2 of a thin super glue will never hurt whether or not it helps. Sure nothing to lose.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2023, 11:39:31 am »
I wish I had done that carving but it was someone else. The belly side was the coons tail end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2023, 11:49:21 am »
Did Kenny do the carving?  Cool for sure...  It's funny how many different views there for something as simple as a pin knot.  :)  That's what keeps it fun...   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2023, 07:40:11 pm »
If I was a betting man I would say Kenny done it, he is very talented and can seem to see things in a piece of wood not many can see. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2023, 10:23:19 am »
True Kenny  has a lost art when it comes to folk art. Truly blessed. Met Kenny At OJAM some years back
been friends ever since. I’ve seen the Coon before.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Fox

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2023, 01:40:00 am »
Haha got busy and hadn’t checked this post in a bit. Lots of cool stuff happening here now, such a cool community. I’ll wrap it so it doesn’t blow up right before I shoot that big buck ! That’s an awesome carving
Why must we make simple things so complicated?